Psychology IA statistical test

leon93

for my IA I replicated Loftus and Palmer's experiment. I have had two different psychology teachers guiding me. One of them suggested to use unrelated t-test, as my data was interval/ratio. However, other teacher who actually marked my draft gave me 0 points for "Result" since in her opinion my data was ordinal and I had to use Mann-Whitney test. Whom should I trust? 22 participant, independent measures design

I did independent measures design for my coursework (i.e. 2 separate groups) and the statistical test I used was the Mann-Whitney U test. We were told that maximum no. of participants allowed is 20? but maybe that's just my school so not sure :S Also, you need to include how you calculated the results, so just print screen the website calculator that you used and put it in the appendices.

Sorry, forgot to mention my data. It was reported speed in km/h. I calculated mean and standard deviation, but 2d teacher said I should calculate median and Interquartile range instead. We had two conditions, both experimentral, 11 participants in each

Edited by leon93

• 1 month later...

Mine was independent groups, and the data was ordinal so I used the Mann Whitney U. Apparently I could have also used the independent T test.

So check again to figure out whether your data is ordinal or not. Also, look for others who've done a similar experiment and see what they did with their data.