Do i need to take HL maths to major in finance at American/Canadian Universities?

Pink97

Will it be sufficient if i took SL maths instead of HL maths? That way i know i'll get a higher overall score)

Universities i'm interested in are:

-Georgetown (1st choice)

-UVA

-Umichigan

-Upenn (Wharton) (i know they *prefer* HL maths :/)

-Harvard/Dartmouth

-Queen's

-UBC

-Mcgill

Thanks for the help!

Edited by pink97

None of those universities will require you to have HL maths but it would certainly give you a big advantage over other candidates. Considering the competitiveness of those universities you should have every possible advantage you can get. Make sure you concentrate on your SAT scores. If you think the time needed for HL maths will lower your SAT results don't take it.

None of those universities will require you to have HL maths but it would certainly give you a big advantage over other candidates. Considering the competitiveness of those universities you should have every possible advantage you can get. Make sure you concentrate on your SAT scores. If you think the time needed for HL maths will lower your SAT results don't take it.

I KNOW doing it will take up all my time as i've heard its extremely hard and takes a lot of practice! However, i'll try it for the first month or so to see if i'll cope as i don't want to spend all of my time on it as i have my others subjects and SATs to study for.

I have one more question: If you where given two options

1) Go to one of the best IB schools in the middle east, and not have much time to focus on SATs and what not. Nevertheless, it would probably be a great experience to go to such a great school.

2) Or go to a school that does AP and has gotten people into every university your interested in applying to. However, this school is much less rigorous and is known for how easy the classes are (I know this because one of my friends transferred there this year from our school and said the work is a breeze). But i'd have more time to study for SATs and build my resume of extracurriculars.

Which would you choose?

Edited by pink97

• 2 weeks later...

I KNOW doing it will take up all my time as i've heard its extremely hard and takes a lot of practice! However, i'll try it for the first month or so to see if i'll cope as i don't want to spend all of my time on it as i have my others subjects and SATs to study for.

1) Go to one of the best IB schools in the middle east, and not have much time to focus on SATs and what not. Nevertheless, it would probably be a great experience to go to such a great school.

2) Or go to a school that does AP and has gotten people into every university your interested in applying to. However, this school is much less rigorous and is known for how easy the classes are (I know this because one of my friends transferred there this year from our school and said the work is a breeze). But i'd have more time to study for SATs and build my resume of extracurriculars.

Which would you choose?

I don't know if they rank IB schools (or high schools in general) outside of the US and so if given the choice, I would definitely pick the latter 'cause it would get you a better GPA, SAT scores and ECs (plus just more time to do research on those schools).

Theoretically focussing on american programs like the AP makes sense, but considering your dream is Yale you really want to do everything you can to stand out as a student and taking the IB definitely makes you stand out in the US. As for extra curricular activities the IB will not stand in your way. Contrarily it is an essential part of the IB to do extracurricular activities, it's called CAS.

Which would you choose?

I don't know if they rank IB schools (or high schools in general) outside of the US and so if given the choice, I would definitely pick the latter 'cause it would get you a better GPA, SAT scores and ECs (plus just more time to do research on those schools).

The IB school i intend to go to, is a british one and therefore i won't have a GPA/Rank etc. And nor will have one for Year 10/11 since i currently attend another British school. And to solve the SAT/ACT problem, i'm just going to spend my summer studying for it and i'll take the exams in the october/november sessions.

Which would you choose?

The IB school i intend to go to, is a british one and therefore i won't have a GPA/Rank etc. And nor will have one for Year 10/11 since i currently attend another British school. And to solve the SAT/ACT problem, i'm just going to spend my summer studying for it and i'll take the exams in the october/november sessions.

Alright so then choose the IB school (well it's your choice though) and try for a high score in that. About you doing your SATs during the summer, I heard that you will probably end up spending your first summer doing your EE as well as just catching up on the material that you didn't get / need more practice, in that I case, I would recommend starting now.

Honestly, IB is intense and in order to actually get a 40 AND pass Maths HL, you really need to go to a very good school.

And plus, the amount of work required to get a 7 in Maths SL would only get you a 3 in Maths HL.

Do SL, but NOT studies. Make sure you get a 6 or a 7 in SL, that way your total points will be higher and you'll be at a competitive advantage.

- (already in university)

Honestly, IB is intense and in order to actually get a 40 AND pass Maths HL, you really need to go to a very good school.

And plus, the amount of work required to get a 7 in Maths SL would only get you a 3 in Maths HL.

Do SL, but NOT studies. Make sure you get a 6 or a 7 in SL, that way your total points will be higher and you'll be at a competitive advantage.

- (already in university)

Yah, i already decided i won't be doing HL Maths, i choose HL English lang/lit instead.