Should I switch to math studies?

NS97

Im struggling with math SL but i dont know if i should switch to math studies

Everyone is telling me you'll regret it in university but im really doing awful in math SL

i did extremely bad my first term of IB and im really scared im gonna get kicked out of ib because of this

I really need advice

A lot of people say that lots of universities don't accept math studies, ultimately it comes down to the requirements of the uni you're applying to. Also, i my school, a lot of people stayed with math sl their first year, and then dropped to studies in their second year. They find the content and topics easy. So maybe give SL a shot and if you really can't do it, drop next year?

To do any kind of science at University you will need at least maths SL. Stick in there a bit longer. I found SL maths difficult at the start too but by the end of the two years I was very comfortable with it. As you progress through the course some of the earlier chapters become easier. I found functions to be horrible initially, but once we had covered calculus earlier chapters like that made more sense. Make sure you're asking your teacher or fellow students for help if you're stuck with a concept, and do lots of practice questions either from your text book or go through past papers and do questions related to whatever topics you've studied. Practice, practice, practice and it will become heaps easier. If you keep getting stuck on particular questions, a good thing to do is to very slowly go through a worked solution step by step, and don't move on to the next step until you have understood the one before, also try explaining the steps out loud to yourself.