Should I take HL Physics and HL Math or HL Physics and SL Math?

EmileHeskey07

Hi,

So i'm still in grade 10 and in 3 weeks time about to choose my options. I'm planning to take either aeronautical engineering, mechanical or mechatronics. However, I'm still confused whether I should take HL math. I'm definitely taking HL physics and maybe HL chemistry, if possible. Math is not my strongest subject which is why I'm highly doubting it. Although physics need math, i'm sure i can still manage it with SL math. I'm getting 6s in both Physics and Math...and i'm planning to enter a community college in the U.S before entering a univ.

Thanks!

HL Math would definitely be a good choice, seeing a you want to do engineering. I dunno how the US system works about this so I can't say, as you're going to community college first but in general unis require HL Math for engineering. Not all, but most. I'm assuming you avoid this requirement if you go to community college first, but the maths you do in HL prepares you much better for engineering than SL; there is a very big gap in how hard both are.

Hi,

So i'm still in grade 10 and in 3 weeks time about to choose my options. I'm planning to take either aeronautical engineering, mechanical or mechatronics. However, I'm still confused whether I should take HL math. I'm definitely taking HL physics and maybe HL chemistry, if possible. Math is not my strongest subject which is why I'm highly doubting it. Although physics need math, i'm sure i can still manage it with SL math. I'm getting 6s in both Physics and Math...and i'm planning to enter a community college in the U.S before entering a univ.

Thanks!

Hey, I do Hl Physics and Sl math. I was recommended to take HL math since i'm going to study economics in college but I was sure i couldn't do it so i stuck to SL. However, for engineering I've heard HL math and physics (for some types of engineering?) are requirements. But mail some universities and you'll get a better idea.

Edited by MISHI

You want to do engineering? Take HL math. The only reason you shouldn't take HL math is if your school doesn't offer it. Simply put, a real engineering program, even if you start off in a community college, will take you way beyond the HL math syllabus and if you can't handle that, you will not handle engineering.

I don't understand how people think you don't need HL math for a ridiculously math-heavy course but whatever.

I agree with what's been said - even if it's not necessarily a pre-requisite for the engineering course you want, Maths HL is a good idea. But moving beyond the issue of unis, I personally found that physics was much harder than maths, even though I did the combination of physics SL and maths HL. So I think that even if you can't handle Maths HL for the 2 years, definitely try it out at first to confirm this - you might surprise yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks!

If you want to go into a field like aeronautical engineering, take HL math, HL physics, and HL chemistry. These will help you, young Padawan, take my advice.

P.s: The DP course is so beautifully designed that it teaches you everything from the scratch so you wouldn't have a problem with the learning part as long as you're motivated and interested in the area of study.

Edited by amarsuchak

Hi,

Thanks!

If you want to go into a field like aeronautical engineering, take HL math, HL physics, and HL chemistry. These will help you, young Padawan, take my advice.

P.s: The DP course is so beautifully designed that it teaches you everything from the scratch so you wouldn't have a problem with the learning part as long as you're motivated and interested in the area of study.

HL chemistry is not needed for aeronautical engineering, unless the university specifies otherwise (which is often not the case).

Is it possible to take SL math and maybe an additional course?

Yes it is possible to do this, there's AP Maths courses. The exams are every may and according to collegeboard you can take the exams without being enrolled in an AP classes. I've heard of quite a few cases of students self-studying content. They're American exams so the American community college would probably be familiar with them. Having said that I would avoid doing AP's the same time you do you IB finals because both exams are in may so there could be timetable clashes.

Good luck.