French B SL

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what type of work that you have been doing in French B SL?? This year we have a new teacher who is completely incompetant [the best out of a bad lot apparently]. He is Swiss German and speaks French and English as his third and fourth languages respectively. I feel like we are really not going through very fast or that we are being pushed enough. What level of french are you guys at??

-Thanks for the help in advance

-Soph x

well we did tons and tons of presentations during the beginning of the year as a practice for our oral exam and one of the pres also counts as part of your "french IA". then the second part of the year we just practised our writing, learned grammar, and did a lot of past exams. i dont think you should worry about it too much b/c i had a HORRIBLE teacher....she couldn't even speak french and i still managed okay =D i think you will be fine if you do the past exams b/c the majority of the exam was reading and comprehension. for the writing part the letter is the easiest because u get marks for the format. in terms of the oral exam just watch french programs, or movies (it helps with your accent).

Hope this helps!

We did lots of oral presentations to practice for the IA. Also, we read lots of French novels and we had reading comprehension tests. We also practiced compositions, like we did past exams where we had to write a diary entry and we were taught how exactly the examiners wanted it. We also watched numerous French films, took notes on them, and then wrote film critiques on them afterwards.

• Like 1

I know my class did absolutely nothing for half the year (the teacher was too nice and accepted all kinds of excuses)... we did a few practice orals and a few mock exams and a few grammar sheets but that's bout it... and that's over the course of 2 years lol. I dunno what kinda marks ppl got but I'd be surprised if some of them could scrape away a 4

• 3 months later...

Yesterday I was kind of annoyed about French actually, because I found out that the presentation I'm preparing at the moment is only a mock one. She had told us these would be our themes for the final one so I tried really hard and spent a lot of time on it. Anyway, it's the fourth one we're doing and I'm already getting bored of them.

Other than that, we read many articles and comment on them, write all types of texts (right now we're doing formal letters) and do interactive activities.

That's pretty much it :S .

This is my final year and we have been mostly concentrating on comprehension and writing. We only had one oral practice session in IB1 but my teacher forces us to speak french with her and each other so that kind of helps too though not much.
We read a lot of books and write summaries on all of them. We also practice writing different kinds of texts like they o in Eng A2; letter to the editor, brochure, diary, etc.
Many say that the writing part is the easiest but for me the comprehension is the easiest. So, I guess it's ups to you :)

Our french class is really lazy and im scared...hopefully the final exams arent too hard..im getting 4s for my marking period grade..
In french we have been learning about what a "problematique" is for our orals at the end of the year. Weve also been watching documentaries and presenting oral presentations on them and stuff.

Edited by luk3tm