Bayes' Theroem IA help?

SeniorStatus14

So, I was going through the list of possible IA topics our teacher as examples and I found the Bayes' Theorem really interesting and simple enough for me to understand!!! I was wondering how I could make it into a good IA topic.

Maybe," How can Bayes' Theorem be used in the Medical Field?"

Or, "How can Bayes' Theorem be used in today's legal systems?"

Are those too narrow? Should I just make it as simple as "How has Bayes' Theorem contributed to today's society?"

I know I'll need to give a few examples to show how it works, but I just don't know how narrow I should make the topic! Please help! Thanks!! :)

I don't think any of these as it currently sits is really going to work because you're not doing any real mathematics here. You can't just list a few areas or things that you can do with the theorem, you need to do an exploration of the topic using math. My advice would be to pick one area of application that you can do with the theorem and create an investigation based on that application. Like for example if I was doing an IA on trigonometric identities, instead of just saying "you can use trig identities to do this this and this, I could first show how they are derived from other mathematical relations and then pick one of those applications (say geographic surveying for example) and use that to solve a problem I created.

• Like 1

I don't think any of these as it currently sits is really going to work because you're not doing any real mathematics here. You can't just list a few areas or things that you can do with the theorem, you need to do an exploration of the topic using math. My advice would be to pick one area of application that you can do with the theorem and create an investigation based on that application. Like for example if I was doing an IA on trigonometric identities, instead of just saying "you can use trig identities to do this this and this, I could first show how they are derived from other mathematical relations and then pick one of those applications (say geographic surveying for example) and use that to solve a problem I created.

So basically my math IA should just be "Bayes' Theorem" and then I can show how Bayes' Theorem works, what it is and an example or two of how it's used?

I'm not familiar with the new IA exploration model, and the standard of mathematics expected at SL, but I think that Emmi is right in saying that you've got to be more mathematically oriented than posing a question which simply asks how Bayes' theorem has contributed to society.

So basically my math IA should just be "Bayes' Theorem" and then I can show how Bayes' Theorem works, what it is and an example or two of how it's used?

I think this is heading down the right track, though I was under the impression - which could be entirely wrong - that the theory and derivation behind Bayes' Theorem isn't necessarily the most mathematically onerous thing in the world, when dealt with in its conventional forms. I'm not sure about that - so perhaps your teacher can provide some advice there.

I think that then finding the examples and exploring them in depth - examples you have created and have personal investment in - would be a good application. I think you could definitely bring the medical into this aspect, though again, formulating the right examples that allow for enough elaboration is crucial to the IA.

I distinctly remember reading an online sample Maths SL IA with teacher comments that had a topic regarding probability and its application in medical statistics - but unfortunately, I can't seem to find it! I'll definitely link it if I can find it.

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with the new IA exploration model, and the standard of mathematics expected at SL, but I think that Emmi is right in saying that you've got to be more mathematically oriented than posing a question which simply asks how Bayes' theorem has contributed to society.

I think this is heading down the right track, though I was under the impression - which could be entirely wrong - that the theory and derivation behind Bayes' Theorem isn't necessarily the most mathematically onerous thing in the world, when dealt with in its conventional forms. I'm not sure about that - so perhaps your teacher can provide some advice there.

I think that then finding the examples and exploring them in depth - examples you have created and have personal investment in - would be a good application. I think you could definitely bring the medical into this aspect, though again, formulating the right examples that allow for enough elaboration is crucial to the IA.

I distinctly remember reading an online sample Maths SL IA with teacher comments that had a topic regarding probability and its application in medical statistics - but unfortunately, I can't seem to find it! I'll definitely link it if I can find it.

Thanks!!! If you find it please let me know! My class got an extension today so now it's due the day we return from winter break. I'm definitely going to ask him if the topics mathematically ok before we leave for break :)

I'm planning on doing a similar thing. As the above posters have said though it does have to be mathematicall more than descriptive. I'm planning on finding a specific court case and analysise it using Bayes' Theorem, so that way I can use maths. I think that I will have to soething else also but I'm not sure yet.

I'm planning on doing a similar thing. As the above posters have said though it does have to be mathematicall more than descriptive. I'm planning on finding a specific court case and analysise it using Bayes' Theorem, so that way I can use maths. I think that I will have to soething else also but I'm not sure yet.

Yeah, I found a really good example with a court case when I was looking up the topic. I'm just not sure if Bayes' Theorem is going to meet the 6-12 pgs requirement or if it has enough math involved. :)

I've done 4 pages and im probabally only halfway finished, so I think it is doable.

Someone has written a couple of hundred page novel on it also. Although I'm not sure how mathematicall it is, I think it proves it is doable.

Thanks for the information!!! :) Glad it's doable. I think as long as you mathematically explain the problem, and then explain the process mathematically as a whole along with maybe some more math stuff (Not sure what yet) that it will suffice as mathematical enough.