IA- Bilingualism. Does it sound good enough?

Guest Viska

Hi everybody, I hope you can help me out of this. Tomorrow I need to write shortly to my teacher what I want to investigate. But before I am doing that I want to know whether my topic is good enough and how it should be obtained.

Firstly, I really want to look into bilingualism. I want to see if there is a correlation between being bilingual and have a different background with more than one.

However, I am a bit confused how I should obtain the data to show this? My teacher told me that I should use the chi-squared (x^2) test to asses whether or not paired observations, expressed in a two-way table, are independent. I really like that idea, but I just do not how I should obtain the data.

There is of course many reasons why people can speak more than one language. They can be plain Dane but also speak English but only if they need to and some can speak Danish and Arabic because they live in Denmark and have an Arabic background . So I feel like that I should take care of those small details. Or should I?

Okay, now I think I got an idea, sorry I am confused. I think I will focus on IB and non-IB students from one and more than one backgrounds. I will need to define when you are considered as bilingual. (I would then say that they can be bilingual if they speak two languages very often when they are at school and at home with family and friends). Then I will make a sheet of questions that could sound like: How many languages can you speak fluently? (like a native speaker), which background are you from?

If there is better questions I can ask then please tell me.

I would like to hear what you all think of it :). And sorry for the confusion.

-Vernisa Dedic

Edited by Vernisa Dedić