Math IA Help

Tony Petrovik

Hello, I have completed my Math IA, I have had feedback that isn't good, my mark is much lower than I would like. The problem is that I have an unusual set of data, I havent got 2 variables that are numerical in value, but instead i have one qualitative and one quantative. I have the correlation of Gender and preference in film genre of which the data I accessed from the internet as a secondary source.

I would like to ask for help, I have been told when on another subject not to send any work via the forums, but instead I was wondering if i could either get help via the forum or if i could send my results table to a Moderator and see what they think of my IA or any advice they have about processes I can add. I was informed on the history forum that if i want to show a person my work to ask for help, i should only send it privatly to a moderator.

I have a number of problems currently with my IA:

1. Unable to do scatter graph, spearmans rank etc. because they require two variables that both are numerical while my data is not

2. Chi-Squared doesnt work because 2 of the expected frequency values are less than a value of 5 and Chi squared expected frequency

3. I cant think of any other ways, i have used a bar chart, multiple pie charts, percentage column totals and a chi-squared (that is incorrect)

The data was gathered from this website, (the table comparing Gender)

It is the table titled "Genre and Film Popularity For All Respondents" from http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/sfischo/media3.html

I'm not trying to break rules or anything, I'm not looking for someone to write it or anything like that,

My teacher took our first draft in last week, gave us the results a couple of hours ago, and suprised us by informing us that we have until tomorrow in lesson to give in the final copy!!! however, at least he gave us the ability to give it in on Friday last thing.

Thanks in advance for any help provided

Tony Petrovik

Guest Lognarithm

Okay so your variables are like this:

Male | Female | Genre

meaning you'll get results which include frequency of male/female responses to each genre? Like:

Genre | Male: x | female: y

You can do something called a double bar chart since you have two frequency values (which it looks like you do), and possibly go from there for each genre of music.

What i have a table with a frequency chart of 14 genres each having a frequency of male, female and both combined for each genre.

I have solved the Chi-Squared problem, i don't know what was wrong, my GDC didn't want to work it out before. Sorry guys, I'm just worried because my teacher's well known for his incompetence in school, in addition to this i think he may have make the paper wrong, (not saying this because he marked mine low) but he gave me a 1 for validity when i hadn't written that part yet.

Thank you Lognarithm, i will try to make one and add to the IA, tomorrow i have to hand it in, when he only looked at the draft 2 days before. Just about the only subject where the teacher seems less organised than the students :/