Math SL November 2013

IB-Surviving

Does anyone remember their answers for paper 2 the last part of Q8? It's the question on the length of arc ABC.

I used the cosine rule to work out the angles (and the radius for both sectors was 7) and then calculated the length of the arc for each of the two sectors and added them .. to get 23 or something .. honestly I totally forgot the answer... it was in the twenties for sure.. but I forgot the exact value.... if you know the answer.. maybe it'll click again

Does anyone remember their answers for paper 2 the last part of Q8? It's the question on the length of arc ABC.

I used the cosine rule to work out the angles (and the radius for both sectors was 7) and then calculated the length of the arc for each of the two sectors and added them .. to get 23 or something .. honestly I totally forgot the answer... it was in the twenties for sure.. but I forgot the exact value.... if you know the answer.. maybe it'll click again

yes that was exactly what I did! I got 25.something.. sorry can't remember the exact decimal places

i got 23.1 but i found the length by subtracting the circumference of the semi-circle with diameter 13.3 from the circumference of the whole circle with radius 7.

Yeah, Paper 1 was pretty good! I agree with all of you .. it was harder than previous years.

Paper 2, however, was a bit more tricky... it tested our understanding of concepts.. we really had to know our stuff..

I got n=8 for the last question about probability too!! yay!

for the vectors... I got from memory.. -1,0,-18 (something like that, I forgot)

OVERALL. the ugliest question for me in both papers was question 7 of paper 2 (the semi-circle) the second-half of it.... didn't really make sense.... I just stared at that page for a good twenty minutes... hoping for something to click... but yeah ... no.. nothing.

HOPE WE ALL DO WELL!

GOOD LUCK FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL DOING EXAMS!

and all you guys who've finished exams -.-.. good luck with the results :) January 4-5 will be the scariest moment of our livesss.. :(

The base of the rectangle was 6-2x and the height was the function itself (I am not explaining why because I am assuming you correctly did the first part of the question based on what you said)

The "second part" (certainly the question that was worth the most points I think) was giving the range of values "X" could take in order for the area of the rectangle to be increasing. You had to graph the function f(x)=base*height, which gave you a grade 3 function, clearly decreasing in a certain range. You just had to write the range of values for which the graph was decreasing ;)

• Like 2

The base of the rectangle was 6-2x and the height was the function itself (I am not explaining why because I am assuming you correctly did the first part of the question based on what you said)

The "second part" (certainly the question that was worth the most points I think) was giving the range of values "X" could take in order for the area of the rectangle to be increasing. You had to graph the function f(x)=base*height, which gave you a grade 3 function, clearly decreasing in a certain range. You just had to write the range of values for which the graph was decreasing ;)

Wish it was that easy during the examm.... </3

• Like 1

Yeah, Paper 1 was pretty good! I agree with all of you .. it was harder than previous years.

Paper 2, however, was a bit more tricky... it tested our understanding of concepts.. we really had to know our stuff..

I got n=8 for the last question about probability too!! yay!

for the vectors... I got from memory.. -1,0,-18 (something like that, I forgot)

OVERALL. the ugliest question for me in both papers was question 7 of paper 2 (the semi-circle) the second-half of it.... didn't really make sense.... I just stared at that page for a good twenty minutes... hoping for something to click... but yeah ... no.. nothing.

HOPE WE ALL DO WELL!

GOOD LUCK FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL DOING EXAMS!

and all you guys who've finished exams -.-.. good luck with the results :) January 4-5 will be the scariest moment of our livesss.. :(

did you get a=2 and b=5.96 for the range in which the area was decreasing ?

Edited by g_ar

I put a = 2 as a guess.. so hopefully I can get a mark :P :P

Thanks DiegoA for the explanation :P

just 4 marks it's alright.. there's still a chance for a seven hopefully.

haha yeahh i think a=2 is right.....yeahh hopefully, i have high hopes the grade boundaries will be lower for this year's maths papers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...