Is it possible to re-take the IB exams?

CCLemon

Umm, sorry guys but you're all wrong. Even though it seems that North American schools don't allow you to retake your IB finals, it is possible, I know of several people around Europe who have retaken exams and improved their grades.

What people usually do is retake their exams in the next possible session, so May '08ers would retake their exam in May 09. However, for some language subjects, there are only tests in May, so they'd retake in May '09. __inthemaking, you're not considering European universities, where it's completely normal to apply to even 3 or 4 years after your diploma. This is common, for example, in Scandinavia, where people like to have a leap year or two before going to university.

There are some rules to retaking, but I must admit I'm not 100% sure of them. Firstly, if you retake an exam, you cannot get a lower grade on your diploma than the first grade. This means that if you got a 6 in History HL in May 2008, and retake it Nov'09 and get a 5, you'll still end up having a 6 on your diploma. As far as I know, you can only retake exams three times.

Unfortunately I can't cite a source for this off the top of my head now, but if you look into the statistical bulletin (found here), you can see that there are normal candidates but also "retake candidates".

• Like 3

I had started thinking i had the wrong information because as I read the title I thought ''hell yeah, you can resit exams'', but as i went along reading the replies i was like ''you can't???''. so, you can. i think they charge you for the resit and then you do your exam, and always to improve your marks as deissi said.

Ok, so it is possible perhaps. Thank you so much for that clarification deissi! But the IB syllabus changes every 5 years so I can't take the exam next year ('09) for the sciences because my year is the last to use the current syllabus. So would november '08 be still possible? Or would they say that the exam sessions are too close together so I might have an 'advantage' or whatever and say no?

Guest Lily Bean

You can retake the exam, in any next possible session, May or November. So if your school does both May and November sessions or is willing to hold just another November session for your retake, you can retake it then. The problem of retake, of course, is that if the retake session has another syllabus you have to deal with any changes of the syllabus from yours. You can choose to redo the whole thing - retake the exam, do new IAs, or retake either one. It's quite frankly a lot of hassle and unless you get really really crappy grades that either a) missed all of your offers or b) would never get you into any decent universities, I think it's not worth the money and trouble to retake. But a lot of people do retake.

Of course retaking will mean you will not go to university that fall so you basically take a year off. If you are retaking then chances are you didn't get good enough grades for university so you can't go anyway.

Umm, sorry guys but you're all wrong. Even though it seems that North American schools don't allow you to retake your IB finals, it is possible, I know of several people around Europe who have retaken exams and improved their grades.

What people usually do is retake their exams in the next possible session, so May '08ers would retake their exam in May 09. However, for some language subjects, there are only tests in May, so they'd retake in May '09. __inthemaking, you're not considering European universities, where it's completely normal to apply to even 3 or 4 years after your diploma. This is common, for example, in Scandinavia, where people like to have a leap year or two before going to university.

There are some rules to retaking, but I must admit I'm not 100% sure of them. Firstly, if you retake an exam, you cannot get a lower grade on your diploma than the first grade. This means that if you got a 6 in History HL in May 2008, and retake it Nov'09 and get a 5, you'll still end up having a 6 on your diploma. As far as I know, you can only retake exams three times.

Unfortunately I can't cite a source for this off the top of my head now, but if you look into the statistical bulletin (found here), you can see that there are normal candidates but also "retake candidates".

About the North American thing... we also allow retakes. The above were just misinformed or had no idea and took that 50/50 chance. Our teachers in the states tell us that we can retake them but it isn't recommended due to the mere fact that you haven't had the class in a whole year and who wants to retake an exam? but we do allow people to retake exams... but... try and pass it the first time, it makes things easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone who replied to this topic! I'm so glad that re-takes are possible :)

But...this is maybe a stupid question to ask (actually it IS because it's really up to your own decision) but is it really worth it to re-take an exam in the end? How many people have actually improved their grades??? I'm really disappointed in my IB grade and was far off from my predicted grades. I guess that I feel I could do better than this (because honestly, I slacked off in revision, never noticing what a gloomy future I was creating for myself) :) ). However thinking about all the hassle and the possible end result being that grades haven't improved scares me from re-taking an exam.

Sorry for this pathetic post but I'm depressed right now and felt the need to ask the question.

I'm sure that if you study, you will be able to improve your grades - people at my school have retaken exams and gotten much better grades. However, you have to study hard, otherwise you'll just be wasting your money. If I may ask, how many points did you get in the end and what were your predicteds? No need to reply, though, if you don't feel like sharing your results.

• 2 years later...

I'm wondering which grades are depicted on the final diploma or transcript that's going to be sent to universities after we retake. Are all grades shown there/the best/ the latest/ improved, but also the former ones? I'm sure there is someone who's been retaking and can tell us the truth, which I think is central to the whole retake issue.

For example, if someone took chemistry in may 2005 and got 6, and then in may 2006 and got 6, and finally in may 2007 and got 7 (not sure if's possible, but take it as an example), what would the final diploma certificate say?

Edited by mietekmac

• 1 month later...

Ooo I never knew that November is considered to be the "resit session" hehe it's my actual exam session!

According to my IB co-ordinator, if you take retake an exam and then receive a lower grade, you keep that lower grade.

Meaning that if you get a 6 in History in May 2008 and retake it in November 2009 and get a 5, you WILL keep that 5. I anticipated one of my subjects and out of those who did (approx 30), about.... 3 are resitting because they didn't get a 7. They were warned against doing that because they could end up getting lower than a 6.

Good luck to those taking resits!! :D

hehe does that mean that the curve for the November session will be nicer because less people take the exams compared to the May session? (I really don't think so though)

• 4 years later...

I'm wondering which grades are depicted on the final diploma or transcript that's going to be sent to universities after we retake. Are all grades shown there/the best/ the latest/ improved, but also the former ones? I'm sure there is someone who's been retaking and can tell us the truth, which I think is central to the whole retake issue.

For example, if someone took chemistry in may 2005 and got 6, and then in may 2006 and got 6, and finally in may 2007 and got 7 (not sure if's possible, but take it as an example), what would the final diploma certificate say?

Can someone answer this inquiry please? I'm about to submit applications and the answer to his questions would be quite useful. 

• 4 months later...

Hi I was wondering if one were to retake a single subject, does that mean one, after consulting with the school, can just retake it next session without having to redo all the coursework (iA, IOP etc) and simply do Paper 1 and Paper 2?