Math SL Internal Assessment Topic

Zahra Salehí

Hey guys, I'm having a little bit of trouble with the Math IA since now we can choose our topics we can basically do anything.

I first came up with the idea of fractals and had almost a clear idea of how to develop it, I talked to my math teacher and I was going to use sequences for Geometric Fractals or just linear algebra for Algebraic Fractals...however, I was browsing through the Math IA Topics on here and came across many threads related to fractals and many moderators told users not to chose Fractals as their Math IA topics.

After looking for many other topics I finally decided to do it on Kaleidoscopes. I'm interested in it since I'm also a Physics SL student and it's somewhat related to reflection in chapter 4.

I googled the maths in it and found some documents about Kaleidoscopes and the math in it. One used Matrices (I studied it before it was taken off the syllabus for May 2014 examinations) and another simple 'Group Theorem' and Vectors.

I was wondering if any of you could help me focus on a specific research question regarding my topic since there are so many ways to "solve" this and I'm a little confused on what to do after reading so many documents with numbers and notation I don't understand.

PS: Feel free to tell me what you think of my topic or suggest any other topic for the portfolio.

Thanks xx

Edited by Zahra Salehí

Hey guys, I'm having a little bit of trouble with the Math IA since now we can choose our topics we can basically do anything.

I first came up with the idea of fractals and had almost a clear idea of how to develop it, I talked to my math teacher and I was going to use sequences for Geometric Fractals or just linear algebra for Algebraic Fractals...however, I was browsing through the Math IA Topics on here and came across many threads related to fractals and many moderators told users not to chose Fractals as their Math IA topics.

After looking for many other topics I finally decided to do it on Kaleidoscopes. I'm interested in it since I'm also a Physics SL student and it's somewhat related to reflection in chapter 4.

I googled the maths in it and found some documents about Kaleidoscopes and the math in it. One used Matrices (I studied it before it was taken off the syllabus for May 2014 examinations) and another simple 'Group Theorem' and Vectors.

I was wondering if any of you could help me focus on a specific research question regarding my topic since there are so many ways to "solve" this and I'm a little confused on what to do after reading so many documents with numbers and notation I don't understand.

PS: Feel free to tell me what you think of my topic or suggest any other topic for the portfolio.

Thanks xx

I don't know much about your current topic, but if you want to change it and need ideas, here's a link given to me by a friend:

http://ibmathsresources.com/2013/09/03/maths-ia-exploration-topics/

• 1 year later...