Applying to the UK for Life Sciences (Biology)

slavetotheIB

I want to apply to universities in the UK for Biology (life sciences, biological sciences, natural sciences, etc). Any suggestion on what will be the best ones for international students? And how much will I need to get in?

I also plan to apply for Oxford. My IGCSE percentage was 92.3% and I received a 41 in my IB1. What chances do I have of getting in?

I live in the UK, so I don't know which ones are good for international students. I'm also planning to apply to Oxford (to read English and French) and my predictions bring me to around 38 (with Core points), so I don't think your points score will be a problem! I would say that the points ask for Oxford (generally spanning from 38-42) is definitely on the higher end of the scale. Universities such as Nottingham, Birmingham and Kings College London have low point asks but are still considered among the top universities in the country. I just googled it, and to do Biology at Nottingham that would be 32-34pts., totally achievable for you! You should look at subject specific league tables and consider universities within the 'Russell Group' more seriously than those that aren't. The 'Russell Group' is a group of 20 or so universities considered to be the best in the country.

Biology League Tables:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Biological%20Sciences

List of Russell Group Universities:

University of Birmingham

University of Bristol

University of Cambridge

Cardiff University

Durham University

University of Edinburgh

University of Exeter

University of Glasgow

Imperial College London

King's College London

University of Leeds

University of Liverpool

London School of Economics & Political Science

University of Manchester

Newcastle University

University of Nottingham

University of Oxford

Queen Mary, University of London

Queen's University Belfast

University of Sheffield

University of Southampton

University College London

University of Warwick

University of York

Hope that helps and good luck with your application :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

LOL I was considering taking life sciences as well but heard that when the representatives for the university of nottingham cam he said its a bit difficult to get in at an undergraduate level for international students. BUT with your grades I'm sure you're a shoo in.

Edited by batta

I live in the UK, so I don't know which ones are good for international students. I'm also planning to apply to Oxford (to read English and French) and my predictions bring me to around 38 (with Core points), so I don't think your points score will be a problem! I would say that the points ask for Oxford (generally spanning from 38-42) is definitely on the higher end of the scale. Universities such as Nottingham, Birmingham and Kings College London have low point asks but are still considered among the top universities in the country. I just googled it, and to do Biology at Nottingham that would be 32-34pts., totally achievable for you! You should look at subject specific league tables and consider universities within the 'Russell Group' more seriously than those that aren't. The 'Russell Group' is a group of 20 or so universities considered to be the best in the country.

Biology League Tables:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Biological%20Sciences

List of Russell Group Universities:

University of Birmingham

University of Bristol

University of Cambridge

Cardiff University

Durham University

University of Edinburgh

University of Exeter

University of Glasgow

Imperial College London

King's College London

University of Leeds

University of Liverpool

London School of Economics & Political Science

University of Manchester

Newcastle University

University of Nottingham

University of Oxford

Queen Mary, University of London

Queen's University Belfast

University of Sheffield

University of Southampton

University College London

University of Warwick

University of York

Hope that helps and good luck with your application :)

This helped me a lot by the way. I had no idea and I appreciate it :D

• 9 months later...