I'm assuming you are doing the English A Language & Literature course, if you're not the things I'm about to explain may vary!

If you have a quick look at the English A L&L guide you can fine all the information you need! I mean right away you can find a table showing you different text types you can model your written task after (I copied the table and pasted it here, but its shown in list form!).

The list:

Advertisement

Diagram

Letter (formal)

Pastiche

Appeal

Diary

Letter (informal)

Photographs

Biography

Editorial

Magazine article

Radio broadcast

Blog

Electronic texts

Manifesto

Brochure/leaflet

Encyclopedia entry

Memoir

Screenplay

Cartoon

Film/television

News report

Set of instructions

Chart

Guide book

Opinion column

Song lyric

Database

Interview

Parody

Speech

They say that the list is not "exhaustive", meaning that you CAN do WT1s in the form of other text types.

I can't really give you a topic but just brain storm, its not really that hard. The guide also has some examples but what I have found the most useful is looking at the outcomes of whichever course (Part 1, 2, 3 or 4) I'm relating the WT1 I'm writing about.
I hope this helped! :)

Edited by Erasmusrasmus

Yeah that's true it could turn out like an essay if you aren't careful! Well I suppose a cartoon is a valid text type but I would NOT recommend it because you need to have 800-1,000 words and I don't know how well that would work if you are doing it as a cartoon. So I think you should stay faaar away from that! I think what you should do is find a topic you are interested in and it relates to a part of the course. After that you should brain storm ideas! Once you have those written down you can look at the text types list (or just think of one on your own) and pick the one you think is the best way to express your ideas.

Just do the opinion column, but UNDERSTAND the genre before doing it. That is part of your learning, after all, is it not? Don't avoid it because you have not learnt the difference between school essay and opinion column! You lose out doubly by not exploring the difference and being able to reproduce it. It will come back later, when you might have to comment on an opinion column on the exam... You will be thankful you had bothered to learn about it.

Learning , not schooling, is what matters.;)

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 2