IB environmental system

Zefar

Ok, I'm taking ib environmental system instead of the other science classes...and many people in our school view it as a joke.

So do universities view environmental system as an easy course or what.

My school is just introduced Environmental System and Societies for the IB Diploma Program this year. In the presentation given by the IBC and school principal, it was portrayed as an easy subject. They also said that it can be taken as a s group 3 or 4. Basically, the overall impression given off by this course is that it’s an easy 7 and a great way to fulfill the Group 4 requirement. Is this truly what it is? Can someone please straighten this out?

• 1 month later...

ESS is good for those going in commerce field as it is a multidisciplinary subject. Meets the Group 4, requirements. But if you take biology, you can take ess, as 60%o of the component is same. I have taken it. Interesting subject. Not a Joke, definitely.

Well, IB Environmental Systems is considered to be an easy science pick however for those going into commerce or the arts in university, IB Environmental Systems is a hard option. It all depends on the student in the end. Do not worry about university. I mean if you are planning to go into Environmental engineering or science obviously this subject is a must otherwise just take it.

• 1 month later...

I depends on what University Course you want to apply. Take something like chemistry (the most easy to score compared to Physics and Bio) as Experimental sciences subject. If you really want to take Environmental systems, then you can choose it as a society subject (BM & econ group). I am doing the same only.

• 4 weeks later...

Im doing enviro at the mo, i absolutely hate science right, love humanities and music, either way theres no way im going to study a sciency subject at uni so it doesnt matter. Truth be told if I wasn't doing IB then I wouldn't do science at all!

But yeah I found it REALLY easy, easy 7, most of it is just common sense, as long as you concentrate in class theres no reason that you really need to study much (or at all in my case) to get good grades:D

Just remember that IB doesn't discriminate, a 7 in Chem is just as good as a 7 in Enviro. Plus its a one year course so it cuts you a bit of slack in your second year.

If you're not interested/don't care about science do Enviro............seriously

• 1 month later...

Hasn't Environmental Systems been replaced by Environmental Systems and Societies? That would only seem logical to me. =/

Anyway. I take ESS at the moment and I think it's quite easy. I just don't like the labs. From what I've heard you have to carry out more labs in ESS than biology. Nevertheless I'm so glad that my school announced in my pre-IB year that they would offer ESS - otherwise I would have been forced to take biology.

I wouldn't say it's a joke, though.

Im on my second year of EVS.

Im going to honest, the only reason i signed up was because i thought it would be an easy 6. And man i was wrong. Obviously it depends, I have had a horrible EVS teacher and for the most part of the class, everyone gets 4's. There's no IB EVS textbook which complicates life, and if your not interested in the syllabus, it is extremely boring and your just not at all motivated to study for it.

I would not recommend it, taking just Bio would be a lot easier on you. I completely regret taking EVS.

• 5 months later...

It depends on where you're going. Let's say for the US, I don't think it will matter as much but if you're applying to universities in the UK let's say in medicine then you're screwed. If you're thinking of totally different then don't worry about it.

However, most of the students at my school who take EVS are interested in the Arts (students applying to art schools ex. parsons, julliard, berklee, etc.)

• 5 weeks later...

All you biology/physics/chemistry people who say ESS is a joke/stupid subject should just shut your mouth. Sure, it's quite an easy subject, but that doesn't mean it's worse than those just mentioned. I mean, the environment and how it will affect society is without doubt one of the most important questions of our time, so taking a subject like ESS is definitely very useful for the future.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

All you biology/physics/chemistry people who say ESS is a joke/stupid subject should just shut your mouth. Sure, it's quite an easy subject, but that doesn't mean it's worse than those just mentioned. I mean, the environment and how it will affect society is without doubt one of the most important questions of our time, so taking a subject like ESS is definitely very useful for the future.

I've been taking this subject for a few months now... I won't say that its easy... at all, I'm thinking of getting a 5 for this but that would be quite unrealistic and I'll be underestimating myself. But the subject is just boring to me and I don't mind the motivation to study it, and the key concepts are not common sense at all when it comes to deeper in depth understanding. I find that its more geographical then biological in some sense. Anyways, if anyone has notes or a good way to study this subject please tell me! I'm a humans person and I take both Math Studies and ESS and I don't see myself (still) doing well in this low-challenge subjects!

• 1 year later...

It depends really. I mean its not something you can simply learn out of textbooks like other subjects. People who'll do best in it will tend to be those with a lot of general knowledge.

However it is severely underrated. I take it myself and out of all 6 subjects, it's my weakest one. Atm I'm getting a 5 for it and doing better in my other subjects. It may not be a "natural science" but yeah it definitely isn't easy. People in my school find HL Geography easier (the 2 subjects share quite a bit of common ground). It may not be a "proper" science but hey don't let those Bio/Chem/Phys people insult you. It's not like they'd be any good at it. Trust me, when I show them the difficulty of the course most start to actually appreciate it. Partly coz they realise they wouldn't ace it but yeah...

If you're not going into the Science field and/or don't like Science at all, it's probably the best option. I find it challenging but I wouldn't really choose another subject in its place as I don't have any interests in Science. Although I do wish I could've just taken SL Geography in its place. It's definitely no easy course, or easy 7 for that matter. :D

Oh and yeah, if anyone's curious...my subjects are:

HL: Business, Economics, English A1

SL: Maths, Dutch B, ESS

Ok, I'm taking ib environmental system instead of the other science classes...and many people in our school view it as a joke.

So do universities view environmental system as an easy course or what.

I take Env. Systems and get very annoyed by those who see it as a "joke". Sure it isn't helped by having a wishy-washy sounding name, but I don't think it is any less valid than Biology or Physics etc. For me it's a subject that is far more interesting than those subjects as it applies environmental science to the real world and to politics and these are where my interests lie. Sure it isn't as sciencey as the others seem to be, but I think for people who don't want to study science in the future it's far more useful. I wouldn't say it is ridiculously easy either, sure a lot of it is common sense but it's not a complete walk in the park. I chose it because I'm more interested in the environmental aspects of science and disliked parts of Biology. Also I think it will be useful in the future.

You say many people in your school view it as a joke, well the joke is on them because they're just ignorant. Just because it isn't an old-school science doesn't mean it's a load of rubbish.

• 4 years later...