Sir Gawain creative oral/iop help!

maekida

I have my creative oral coming up for English literature and I'm really stuck for ideas. I think I've decided on doing Sir Gawain and the green knight, the epic poem, but I can't decide on a format. Our teacher wants it to be creative and analytical, and the best ones last term were the ones where a second person was recruited and they performed a script of a conversation or scenario. Does anyone have any ideas for a format that would be interesting and allow a lot of exploration of characterisation, themes, etc? Please help!

You say that your teacher wants it to be "creative and analytical". Just wanted to point out that it does not have to be a creative option if your feel like you will do better in expressing your understanding and knowledge through a more traditional way. The creative options are the minority in the list that IB provides as suggestions.

However, if you are doing it on a poem (btw i haven't read that one so what i suggest might not be possible) you might like to write a poem in the same style as the poet and then compare your work to the original and show the techniques etc your used and how they are being used to show similar or opposing themes/ideas and this will most definitely showcase your understanding and be an interesting presentation. A friend of mine did quite the same on Martin Luther King's Speeches and that went really well!

The options you do have are below...hope it helps!

Topics may be based on any aspect(s) of the work(s) studied, including for example,

• A critique of the student’s own writing that has been produced in the style of one of the literary genres studied
  • An explanation of a particular aspect of an author’s work
  • The examination of a particular interpretation of a work
  • The setting of a particular writer’s work against another body of material, for example, details on social background or political views
  • A commentary on the use of a particular image, idea or symbol in a text
  • A performance or a pastiche of a section of a text being studied—this activity should be followed by some explanation and discussion of what the student attempted to do *
  • A comparison of two passages, two characters or two works
  • A commentary on a passage
  • An account of the student’s developing response to a work
  • The presentation of two opposing readings of a work
  • A monologue or dialogue by a character at an important point in the work *
  • Reminiscences by a character from a point in later life *
  • An author’s reaction to a particular interpretation of elements of his or her work in a given context (for example, a critical defence of the work against a charge of subversion, or immorality, before a censorship board) *
  • Analyse the reasons for the choices made when adapting a film from a literary work
  • Acquire an understanding of how characters evolve in a specific time and space
  • Understand the use of symbolism and how it can be translated from one medium to another (eg novel to film)
  • The cultural setting of the work(s) and related issues
  • A thematic focus
  • Characterization
  • Techniques and style
  • The author’s attitude to particular elements of the works (for example, character(s), subject matter)
  • The interpretation of particular elements from different perspectives.

*Please note that students who choose creative presentations should provide a rationale for what they have done.

Thanks everyone. We just have to demonstrate understanding of the themes, plot and characterisation. I'm thinking of writing a conversation between two characters but I'm not sure if it is creative enough. I know it can be creative or analytical but our teacher is encouraging us to do both. Any ideas?

Well you could re-write part of the poem or something from a different character's perspective if that works.... it might not work it depends on the kind of poem it is...

that would show characterization of that character and it can be linked to themes... if u need to bring in plot then u can but being selective in the part of the poem you choose to re-write etc.

I also want to stress that if you are going down the creative part, don't forget that you need to have a rationale comparing your work to the actual text and how urs is a good representation of the original as u understand the themes/techniques etc etc. The creative thing should be about 4 minutes maximum no longer, and then you will have plenty of time to analyze.