How did you guys compile your CAS information? And is this an appropriate project for Creativity?

As the topic states, what format did you guys use to put all of your CAS-related stuff together? Scrapbooks, binders, what?

My school's CAS advisor hasn't said anything about it, and our study hall teacher (who's plugged into everything from CAS to classes and coordinates the EE) just said something about scrapbooks, but admitted that she didn't know 100%. I currently have everything in a binder with a nice coverslip in the viewing sleeve on the front with the IB logo; Creativity, Action, and Service; and my name.

As for the second part of my question, I just wanted to know if teaching myself C++ and Python computer languages and taking screenshots and printing my results (i.e. making a quadratic formula solver and labeling it as such with, say, the computer answers and my hand-solved answers side-by-side) and putting them in my binder would count for creativity. I mean, it's no painting, but it takes skill!

To answer your first question, I can't really help... In terms of recording our hours, our school has been using 'managebac' but in terms of the CAS portfolio... I don't even know what that is exactly (we haven't yet been told anything other than to record hours and write reflections on managebac.

For your second question, you are definitely learning something new and I personally think it could cound as CAS but the only thing bothering me is that it is self taught... I'm not too sure about that. Who could possibly be your activity supervisor then? They don't allow student supervisors, and only parent supervisors in some cases (this may be one of them). The best option for you is to go and talk to your IB co-ordinator (or CAS co-ordinator is they are diff people) and ask them.

Afterall, they have to approve the activity before the hours can count anyway, so you shouldn't assume the hours will count without knowing for certain.

Hope this helps...

At our school we can keep our CAS stuff in whatever format we wish. Personally, I have a binder with my signed activity sheets, diary entries and reflections, but I know some people who have a blog online.

So it's up to you really, do whatever you're most comfortable with.

Some school uses ManageBac, other schools (like mine) just let students to type the journals up and keep it in a binder/blog/etc.

Teaching yourself something will definitely count as creativity.

For the supervisor part, I think you can report your progress to your IB coordinator and let him/her be your supervisor. (According to my IBC, that was alright)

As the topic states, what format did you guys use to put all of your CAS-related stuff together? Scrapbooks, binders, what?

My school's CAS advisor hasn't said anything about it, and our study hall teacher (who's plugged into everything from CAS to classes and coordinates the EE) just said something about scrapbooks, but admitted that she didn't know 100%. I currently have everything in a binder with a nice coverslip in the viewing sleeve on the front with the IB logo; Creativity, Action, and Service; and my name.

As for the second part of my question, I just wanted to know if teaching myself C++ and Python computer languages and taking screenshots and printing my results (i.e. making a quadratic formula solver and labeling it as such with, say, the computer answers and my hand-solved answers side-by-side) and putting them in my binder would count for creativity. I mean, it's no painting, but it takes skill!

I love your idea for the creativity project! :D

Maybe you could ask the computer sciences teacher in your school to supervise you?

I keep all my reflections and things in a clear pocket folder - it works for me. Though I'll probably have it binded into a sort of booklet before submitting it all.

In our school, most of us have a blog, but we still have to print it out and put it in a file. Some would just use a word document and print it out. I'm not sure if anybody handwrites it. But anyway, all of us mush have a folder (preferably a binder). Our school sends it off to IBO.

In the folder, we need evaluation forms for each activity. It is provided by our school, but I suppose if you really want you can change it (no one did that so I'm not sure). We fill in the name of activity, organiser, date (s), hours, whether it's creativity or action or service. Then we tick the relevant boxes for learning outcomes and sign it (student signature, and the next field for date). On the next side/page, supervisor's signature and date, and space is given for supervisor's comments. We are given a soft copy of the evaluation form so some of us type in the details, while some of us print it out and fill it in manually. It's all fine. I prefer typing it out obviously cause it's neater.

We must include a reflection(s), a printout of a blog post(s) or a word document(s), for each activity (each evaluation form). For regular activities, you might decide that it is better if you have a few (where you include the date of each reflection/paragraph). We were also advised to include the learning outcomes in our reflections. Even better, make it in bold. The reflection should include photos (or you could also attach it separately). If we have other evidence, then we include them as well.

We must also have a CAS log form (not provided) which is basically a summary of our hours, and whether it is creativity, action or service. Mine included activity, date, creativity hours, action hours, service hours and totals at the end (total creativity, total action, total service, total hours). Also, a CAS completion form which our CAS coordinator filled for us after the CAS meeting.

• Like 1