Historical Investigation Advice + General Advice

SmileBeloved

Hello everyone! :fish:

I'll start off with explaining my History teacher, who unfortunately does not know what he's doing. He somehow managed to get the IB teaching certificate in a span of a month, and uneasy me beseech the online community of Ibsurvival for some general advice and help. :surrender:

Firstly, concerning my Historical Investigation, I was planning on basing it on the book: Peacemakers, Six months that changed the World by Margaret Macmillan. According to my history teacher, this is acceptable.

Just confirming again. If I just used some other sources, then would this be good enough?

Secondly, what exactly is the History syllabus? I'm on summer break and will be going into senior year in two months. Yet, the topics we have covered are: ww1, ww2, Weimar Republic, South Africa and India. I'm afraid that we are behind or are on the wrong track- can you please explain what exactly the History syllabus is? According to the History course outline, I noticed there are two sections- Route 1 and Route 2. What exactly is the difference? What is it?

Thank you very much. I purchased the Cambridge IB history textbooks and hope to achieve some self studying this break.

All advice is greatly appreciated! :blowkiss:

Answer to your second question (can't help you with your first because i'm in the same situation):

Here is the history "syllabus" (they call it a subject outline):

http://www.ibo.org/diploma/assessment/subjectoutlines/documents/d_3_histx_gui-out_0803_1_e.pdf

You seem to be doing Route 2 which "encompasses the main developments in 20th century world history" while Route 1 "explores the main developments in the history of Europe and the Islamic world (from 500 to 1570)"

As you can see, paper 1 in the history exam has Prescribed Subjects which depends on the school, it seems like you guys are doing #1 cause you did both WWI and WWII and I assume the interwar period).

In Paper 2, there are 5 topics from which you have to choose 2 questions form 2 different topics. These questions are essay questions (you should spend about 45min per question as you only have 1h and 30min.) The four topics are available on the outline, but from what you've said you seem to be going on the right track.

I can't help with paper 3 if you're in HL since i take SL. Good luck with your IA!!

No. You cannot base it on Macmillan's book (btw brilliant reading) but choosing something from the interwar years is fine. Possibly something such as TWE was the Locarno pact a cause of world war II. but you need a range of different sources and historians for the IA. I shall send you mine, if you wish

• Like 1