Which Maths HL Option do you do?

Ruan Chun Xian

So we have threads for Science options already, here comes the maths option thread.

So for HL, what option are you all doing? Did you actually get to choose your option?

My teacher actually chose our option for us, and we did Stats but it's something I'm so grateful for right now. I have to take a Stats course this semester at uni and it's all the IB Stats stuff so it's mostly revision. I'm listening to a lecture on the normal distribution right now actually and it's all coming back to me. :P

Teacher chose Stats for us too. He said it's the easiest and overlaps with the main syllabus so it might be better.

my teacher told us calculus was the easiest. but that's just because he hated stats :P

and I think most of them overlap with the syllabus don't they?

Usually it's because of their inability to comprehend the question, and their lower English capabilities. At my school it's the first year that they're doing stats, because they think we're (class of 2 btw) capable in english :P .

:0 2 people! thats beats our 3! :punish:

and yes thats the reason, i remember now :(

sometimes i get confused with the wording on stats questions, the IB manage to word questions dreadfully every now and again.

In my school we're doing Series and Differential equations, any idea on how hard are they?

So we have threads for Science options already, here comes the maths option thread.

So for HL, what option are you all doing? Did you actually get to choose your option?

My teacher actually chose our option for us, and we did Stats but it's something I'm so grateful for right now. I have to take a Stats course this semester at uni and it's all the IB Stats stuff so it's mostly revision. I'm listening to a lecture on the normal distribution right now actually and it's all coming back to me. :yes:

Ok the HL syllabus is split into 2 parts: Core and Options.

Core includes all the compulsory topics you have to do - this includes the whole SL syllabus and some extensions.

Then there are a few (forgot how many) Options - optional topics. The Option is tested in Paper 3 of the exams. Your class/teacher choose and study 1 option from the collection only. It's like Science options, only in Maths you only do 1 option instead of 2.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Teacher chose Stats for us too. He said it's the easiest and overlaps with the main syllabus so it might be better.

Its true....teachers always choose most of them for us because the syllabus overlaps and we have a better chance to get higher score but i seriously think that there should be more freedom to choose but it might not be practical for everyone.....