Help for Subject Selection

neilbijlaney

Hey guys,

I made a previous post about this but i've met some people and i've had some change of opinion.

OPTIONS

English HL
Biology HL

Hindi (Language B) - HL

Econ - SL

Psychology - SL

Math - SL

English HL
Biology HL

Business & Management HL
Hindi (Language B) SL
Psychology SL
Math SL

English HL
Biology HL
Hindi (Language B) - HL
Physics SL
Psychology SL
Math SL

My mind is fixed about certain subjects like Psych, Math, English and Biology

Any suggestions are welcomed ! thank you :)

PS - Physics isn't really my forté, in fact i'm really un-interested in it. I'm just considering it because of a promising future.

Is it true that you can't score in IB Psych ?

I would probably go with your second choice. A second language isn't always the easiest to score in, and at HL unless you really like the language it isn't worth taking that risk.

As for psych, who told you it isn't easy to score? Psych in the IB is subject you could do very well in even without a teacher's help. It requires a lot of reading and memorizing but in terms of difficulty, the questions are straightforward and directly from the syllabus.

You can score well in Psych, just need to memorise loads.

I guess it'd be very helpful if you could tell us what kind of university degree you're aiming for, and what country you want to study in. You'll get much more focused advice. :)

My suggestion would be to take your second option. The only thing I see "wrong" with it is Business & Management HL. Even at the HL, colleges see this as a soft subject. If your school offers it, I would suggest to take Economics HL instead. For some reason, colleges see this as a more valuable and harder class. I agree with SurajM regarding the second language. It is very difficult to score well in a second language at the HL, so if it is possible, SL would be a smarter choice. I am not sure about scoring on Psychology...but I do know that the people at my school who have taken the test have done well and loved the class. Good luck to you! Don't stress about it too much, you'll figure it out. :)

My suggestion would be to take your second option. The only thing I see "wrong" with it is Business & Management HL. Even at the HL, colleges see this as a soft subject. If your school offers it, I would suggest to take Economics HL instead. For some reason, colleges see this as a more valuable and harder class. I agree with SurajM regarding the second language. It is very difficult to score well in a second language at the HL, so if it is possible, SL would be a smarter choice. I am not sure about scoring on Psychology...but I do know that the people at my school who have taken the test have done well and loved the class. Good luck to you! Don't stress about it too much, you'll figure it out. :)

I disagree completely with the language point.

If you hadn't noticed, the OP is in India and there is a good chance s/he was raised speaking Hindi as well as English, or if not, speaks Hindi to a high standard anyway, similar to people of Hispanic origin in the US. Definitely do Hindi HL OP!

If you hadn't noticed, the OP is in India and there is a good chance s/he was raised speaking Hindi as well as English, or if not, speaks Hindi to a high standard anyway, similar to people of Hispanic origin in the US. Definitely do Hindi HL OP!

What 'cjy' said is True. I have learnt the language growing up and i'm quite fluent at it.

What 'cjy' said is True. I have learnt the language growing up and i'm quite fluent at it.

Well then in that case, go for HL! :)

There isn't really much point in doing physics purely because you think it will help your future. Chances are, if you take subjects that you are interested in then you will do a lot better in them because you will be much more open minded when it comes to the learning and working. Also, any subject in the IB is highly regarded and so don't be under any false illusion that physics is somewhat better.

I think you should take what you feel you will enjoy the most and do the best in.

Also, I see you have opted for SL maths. Is mathematical studies perhaps not a better option. If HL isn't something you are interested in then why not relieve some of the pressure and do studies.

I think that economics then might be a better choice over business if maths is a preference of yours.

Hope this helped.

I think your second choice is the best since Hindi does not seem like a language you would have to study too hard unless you want to be a writer or a journalist. Only do physics if you like it, since it is quite demanding and hard to understand so it will take a lot of patience or natural talent.