Math exam marking

narniaislife

Today I was just wondering about how the IB marks math exams. So, lets say on a question, you completely mess up the numbers because you read the question wrong, but the steps you did with those numbers are the correct ones. Your end answer is 100% wrong but using your method you get an answer. Does this account for method marks, misread or what? Also, if you do get method marks, are you still able to recieve full marks on a question or just a few?

Thanks in advance :)

Hey there and welcome to IB Survival!

If the way they grade is even remotely similar to how they grade math studies papers (I would be very surprised if this is not the case), you will be awarded marks for showing the correct methods, given that you actually wrote down what you did in a coherent manner. If the task is divided in a), b) and c), where answers in b) and c) depends on your answer in a), you will also get follow-through points and might be awarded full score for b) and c) even though your answer in a) is wrong. This of course depends on that you've solved b) and c) correctly, with the sole exception being the number you found in a). However, if b) and c) are not based on a), and you use wrong numbers, you will lose points on all three, and you will not be awarded any follow-through. However, you might still be awarded some points for correct methods, which means that you'd end up with at least some marks.

This is actually a very good incentive to answer questions you don't have any idea how you solve, because you will perhaps gain some points nonetheless. Also, if the question is divided into a), b) and c), where b) and c) depends on a), you can still get top score on b) and c) even though you mess up a).

• Like 2

I think that alefal has got it down pretty clearly - if your method is 100% correct but your answers are all wrong, you can get all the M marks and no A marks. Generally, even if it's a misread and you copied down the numbers from the question wrong, my impression is that you still get no A marks - but sometimes the marker may give 'discretionary' marks (though this is probably not something to bet on). So as long as you show your method and it is correct, you can get marks. However, it is (near impossible?) to get all method marks on a question - sometimes there will be questions (rare though in the new question formats) that are all A marks, but I don't think it'll be all M marks.