HELP FOR COMMENTARY ON DEVELOPMENT ECONOMICS

I needed some help in choosing an article for a commentary in development economics. I've done one commentary on micro so far but I can't seem to understand what a commentary on development economics would entail. What sort of theory and/or diagrams would one use in the commentary? And regarding the article, I assume it should be something related to "Economic Development", so I wanted to know whether one of these two articles would be suitable and what sort of analysis would need to be carried out.

http://www.sierraexpressmedia.com/archives/57245

http://www.ibtimes.com/africa-pursues-development-goals-some-countries-lag-while-others-lead-1289671

Any help, suggestions, feedback or general advice on any of this would really be appreciated!!

I personally think a commentary in Development would be quite hard- my school didnt do any commentaries for Development for that reason. I don't know how your school does it... but the IBO only want to see 3 commentaries each from a different section. So if you are finding it hard, then don't waste your time.. Just one in Micro, Macro and International, they are far more straight foreword.

I don't have time to read the article's at the moment but I can give you some general tips. So when you are writing about development consider the following aspects:

• Sustainable development
  • HDI (Education, Life expectancy, GDP/Capita)
  • Other ways of measuring development (Hospitals/1000 people, access to clean water, etc)
  • Economic growth vs development
  • What kind of aid has the country been receiving? How is the aid used?
  • Long term vs short term goals the country should adapt

That's all I can think of at the moment but if you need any further advice, feel free to PM me.

• Like 1