Can someone help me with hybridization?

jlai928

Hi all,

Can someone explain to me what hybridization is briefly and how to solve this question that I'm stuck on?

What is the type of hybridization of the silicon and oxygen atoms in silicon dioxide?

How do you know what the hybridization is if you can't draw out the lewis structure using the molecular formula showing the bonds etc???

Thanks!

Hybridisation is like a merging of atomic orbitals. As a shortcut, you look at the number of charge centres (atoms around the atom you want and lone pairs of electrons). The hybridisation is usually -1 the number of charge centres.

For example, Si is sp3 because it has 3 charge centres. O is also sp3 hybridised because it has two atoms connected to it and it has two lone pairs. (I'm not sure)

I really recommend checking out Richard Thornley's videos. This is his hybridisation video:

Watch his other videos too!! Seriously. :nicole:

Edited by -._._.-
  • Like 2

Or you can just inspect how many sigma bonds it is able to make, if it makes 4 sigma bonds, like carbon in organic chem, then it's sp3 hybridized as there are no p orbitals present, when it makes a double bond then it's sp2 hybridized as 3 of the orbitals have been made to a hybrid orbital, while one p orbital is still left in its old state so that it can pi-bond. Lastly you have tripple bond with carbon that only is sp hybridized as it forms two sigma bonds and two pi bonds. You should be aware that lone pairs are often hybridized as well, such as in nitrogen (this makes sense as these can form sigma bonds through dative bonding).