Help with 1984

Silvia

Well, my Eng b teacher has decided to do 1984 , its all good, but in the entire year she only made us do the chapter reviews and in class we just chat about the book and its implications. Pretty easy stuff, she doesn't even make us do any essays on the book, such as the themes etc. It isn't much of a challenge at all, so i was wondering if anyone could give me some good questions on 1984 that I could write an essay on for a bit of practice for my finals next month.

I don't know if Eng B essays are similar but these were some questions my teacher gave us for an essay in English A Lit (did the book for Part 2). Hope these help:

1. Discuss Orwell’s aims and motives used in creating his dystopian society in Nineteen Eighty-Four.
2.Two key sentences in Nineteen Eighty-Four are I love you and He loved Big Brother. To what extent is the novel about love?
3. In what sense might the novel be considered a religious, rather than a political novel?
4.Do you think it is necessary to have an understanding of the historical backgound to the novel in order for the reader to appreciate it as a work of literature?
5.Orwell once famously claimed that ‘good prose writing is like a window pane’. How would you interpret this statement in light of this novel?
6.Erich Fromm, in the "Afterword" in the Signet Classic edition of 1984, states: "George Orwell's 1984 is the expression of a mood, and it is a warning. The mood it expresses is that of near despair about the future of man, and the warning is that unless the course of history changes, men all over the world will lose their most human qualities, will become soulless automatons and will not even be aware of it." (p. 313) What specifically is the warning about? Cite examples from the book that highlight Fromm's concerns.

I read this book a long time ago, so I could be wrong, but here are a few questions:

• Discuss the idea of doublethink. What role does it play in Winston's brainwashing and how important is doublethink to control the citizens?
  • Discuss the importance of technology in controlling the people. How does it affect the Party's power?
  • Discuss the symbols Orwell used in his novel and their importance.

• Disscuss two key pieces of symbolism. What role do thay play in the book and what is their relevance to daily life?

To what extent is the partys attempt to remove the past effective? What role does the lack of accurate records play in this?

Do you believe that Orweel was trying to predict the future or just give a general warning?

I loved 1984 :)

The above questions are really good, you should some of the at least :)

Here are some more:

• How does the free indirect discourse narration (or the way the text is written) affect the way the reader feels for the main character?
  • Is such an environment possible in the future? (talk about the theme of technology and link it with real life scenarios)
  • How is language utilised as a tool to control the people? (making the dictionary smaller every year- what is this doing to people?)
  • Who really was O'Brien- good or evil? (I loved this guy, explore who he actually was- I did my practise IOP on this and it was quite interesting actually thinking about it)
  • What does the glass thing (the one you shake and stuff happens- I seriously can't remember the name!!) symbolise?

Hey silvia

I did 1984 recently as well, luciky I got a really good teacher and explained the book really well. However, I think you will need to do the hard work or not the explanation won't make any sense. Besides, sparknotes is a really good website which worth you to have a look at.

Themes that you will need pay attention in 1984

Binary opposition

Julia and Winston (different approach, against big brother for personal, Winston fight for freedom ,society)

Settings is really important As well. If you had read the book, I will understand what I meant

- the forest where the had sex (freedom) vs Winston's home (captivity)

Hope this helps