If I fail Math will my IA's get me through?

s.keeling94

Okay, so I'm hoping I wont fail Math SL. but hypothetically if I do will my IA's cover my a**?
Lets say I get a 1 for both paper 1 and 2 but I got a 5 in total for my IA's, what would I get as a final grade?
And lets say I get a 2 for both paper 1 and 2, and still got a 5 for my IA's, what would I get?

Thanks so much, IDK why I didn't take studies....

Not necessarily. The IA forms a part of your grade that is weighted. If you got a 5 from your IAs (according to Nov 2011 subject guide which was the first one I found, you'd be achieving between 24 and 28 points out of a maximum 40. This gives you a percentage between:

(24/40)*20%=12%

and

(28/40)*20%=14%

The passing grade (minimum for a 3) was 36% in Nov 2011 exams, so thus you would have to achieve between 24 and 22 per cent in your exams. Assuming you get the same score for both exams, in order to pass you would have to get on average 11 (if IA was a maximum 5) to 12 (if IA was a minimum 5) per cent from both exams onto your grade, which translates to the following with P as the points you achieve:

P=(90*0.11)/0.4=24,75 ~ 25 points (given maximum grade 5 from the IA)

or

P=(90*0.12)/0.4=27 points (given minimum grade 5 from IA)

According to the report, this translates to a high two from P1 and a medium two from P2. So, if you wish to borderline pass the exams with any certainty, you'd have to get at least a high two from both exams given the variations in grade boundaries year-to-year.

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by CkyBlue, May 8, 2013 - thank you post
Hidden by CkyBlue, May 8, 2013 - thank you post

Not necessarily. The IA forms a part of your grade that is weighted. If you got a 5 from your IAs (according to Nov 2011 subject guide which was the first one I found, you'd be achieving between 24 and 28 points out of a maximum 40. This gives you a percentage between:

(24/40)*20%=12%

and

(28/40)*20%=14%

The passing grade (minimum for a 3) was 36% in Nov 2011 exams, so thus you would have to achieve between 24 and 22 per cent in your exams. Assuming you get the same score for both exams, in order to pass you would have to get on average 11 (if IA was a maximum 5) to 12 (if IA was a minimum 5) per cent from both exams onto your grade, which translates to the following with P as the points you achieve:

P=(90*0.11)/0.4=24,75 ~ 25 points (given maximum grade 5 from the IA)

or

P=(90*0.12)/0.4=27 points (given minimum grade 5 from IA)

According to the report, this translates to a high two from P1 and a medium two from P2. So, if you wish to borderline pass the exams with any certainty, you'd have to get at least a high two from both exams given the variations in grade boundaries year-to-year.

Thanks so much!!