Preparing for Maths HL

-._._.-

I'm not sure whether you can learn much any more (I at least have the feeling that induction, integration by substitution and complex number trigonometry are somewhat beyond me for the exams no matter how much I might cram tonight), but a few vital tips can be given. First of all, think things through before you start doing them as otherwise you'll be wasting valuable time writing down things that might prove erroneous. Otherwise, try to get all "free marks" down. Write down equations even if solving them appears problematic. Show that induction questions hold true for k=1, even if you have trouble doing the rest, and all other tricks that get you a few marks down the line.

Otherwise, make a first pass through the exam doing everything you know you surely can and return back to tough problems after doing all the easy ones as quickly as possible. This way, you should be looking at the maximum marks you can get given the level of knowledge and ability and the exam difficulty. And if you have a spare calculator similar to the one you will be using in the exam or just a booklet stating them, make sure you know all shortcuts to solving problems on your calculator for P2. In P2, it isn't really worthwhile trying to solve complex equation systems, probability deviation questions etc by hand, just use the calculator for everything it can be used for.

Show that induction questions hold true for k=1,

Make sure you show that the proposition is true for n=1, then assume that it is true for n=k and then consider n=k+1 and make an attempt to prove. Minimum two free marks.

Edited by Hus
  • Like 2