English A Literature HL paper 2 Discussion

Anyone do TZ2 question 4 on non visual imagery?

I did TZ2 and Poetry questions, but I chose question 6 about realistic and unrealistic because I haven't studied any non-visual imagery. Although my friend did that question and said he regretted it because he struggled a lot, how did you find the selection of questions? Good/Bad?!?

Anyone do TZ2 question 4 on non visual imagery?

I did TZ2 and Poetry questions, but I chose question 6 about realistic and unrealistic because I haven't studied any non-visual imagery. Although my friend did that question and said he regretted it because he struggled a lot, how did you find the selection of questions? Good/Bad?!?

I was REALLY lucky in that I'd looked up the names of non-visual imagery before my exam (e.g tactile, gustatory and auditory) which is how I structured my essay (although I spelt gustatory wrong throughout :hang: and the quotes I'd learnt were like "the rough bark grazed my back" "the soft loam on my feet" kinda stuff from Carol Ann Duffy. So I didn't find it awful. All my friends did that question, but I tried to do it and found it hard to structure. But the questions were nice, overall.

Guest Fiorella

anyone picked the characterization one from the prose and novel section?

I did this one for Wuthering heights and the great gatsby! Who did you say the unpleasant character is in GG? I said Gatsby is morally corrupt yet the reader views him as positive and I used an example with Tom as well

Unfortunately, I didn't do the great gatsby! sorry :S

So the one we picked was #8, and it was about how the author successfully characterized the characters in the book. The first one, #7, was about "interruptions" in the writing and what effect they have. And the third one... I don't remember, sorry!

• Like 1

So the one we picked was #8, and it was about how the author successfully characterized the characters in the book. The first one, #7, was about "interruptions" in the writing and what effect they have. And the third one... I don't remember, sorry!

Thanks a ton! And if anyone remembers the third one please post.

Thanks a ton! And if anyone remembers the third one please post.

If it jogs anyone's memory I think it was on something to do with mood and atmosphere

thanks but I am in TZ2. Does anyone from TZ2 remember the prompts for the prose and novel section?

How do authors use characterization as a technique to make readers accept or understand otherwise unpleasant characters (something like that, it's the one i chose)

How do the sequences of events make up the story (something to do with chronology or the sequences of events and how that contributes to the overall effect of the story or something like that)

How is mood and atmosphere portrayed, or something along those lines..

Edited by Babydolleyes
  • Like 1

Completely confused right now about what timezone I am in, but I'm pretty sure I'm TZ1. I found the paper pretty average

Anyway I chose the third question in the drama section: "Drama is often created when ordinary people are placed in situations of crisis". Discuss the methods by wich this is achieved..

I used Williams's A Streetcar Named Desire and Long Day's Journey Into Night (O'Neill) to answer it, and began by illustrating how through conflict and polar opposites of Stanley/Blanche, he is placed in a situation of crisis as he feels his 'territory' is being invaded by her, whilst she is placed in a situation of crisis due to the power struggle which emerges over the battleground of Stella's affections. I focused on how drama was heightened when finally this situation of crisis was resolved with the rape of Blanche in scene 10. I contrasted this with the fact that although in Long Day's, again it is conflict which creates crisis, it is this time bewtween all three members of the Tyrone family and not so much between the protagonist-antagonist as in Streetcar, but that again a comparison can be found in that conflict creates crisis as all men fight over the dominance of a female character, Mary, sparking drama.

However my main point was that a comparison can be found in that both Blanche&Mary are the problematic females in these two plays and it is the fact that they are both bound to a past they can neither forget nor forgive which places them in a situation of crisis, as they cannot deal with their harsh present, and instead withdraw into an idealized recreation of their past. The methods I highlighted were those of concealement-revolution, and I used devices such as recurring musical motifs, costumes and props as means by which heighten the drama and most importantly, the sense of entrapment within their present lives felt by these two women, who do not resolve their issues by the end of the plays.