Self-taught language

I don't know if you can self-study your A language but for language B, some people have been taking it out of school

For myself, I've been learning Mandarin outside of school and since Mandarin wasn't an available language at my school for IB, I have to self-study.

You can teach yourself language A; I know someone who is doing that.

I don't know how it works, though I'd suggest speaking to your coordinator about it if you really want to do both language A and B self-taught. That's rather challenging--the person I know is struggling with it because she really isn't sure of what she's doing and she wishes she had a teacher. She's forced to do it because she has to do English B and my school doesn't offer a 'class' for the language she's chosen to do as language A.

I'm not saying that you can't do it, just that it sounds hard.

o:

You can definitely self-study language A, as it's supposed to be the language you are best and most fluent at and you can take it at whatever level you feel comfortable or need to... your mother tongue basically. Self-taught A1 languages are designed to cater to linguistic diversity.Sometimes schools may not offer a class in that language at whatever level you need and they may offer the option to self study.I for example wanted needed to do English A1 at HL, but the HL class was full so I was given the option to attend the SL classes and self-study the HL bits. But I doubt Im registered as a self-taught candidate. Naughty me.

If your A1 isn't english, you're eligible bilingual diploma. In formal cases there's a "self-taught coordinator" who's supposed to help/ guide you through the experience i.e helping by ordering the texts and making sure they comply to the IB prescribed book list for the specific language. Some schools may offer/ suggest an external tutor for students, but self- taught A1 language candidates can have less supervision than their taught counterparts. Also instead of internal assessments self-taught students can do an oral exam which is moderated by an external examiner.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

There are some ways of getting personal help, when you need it, for self-study students. My cousin had his own personal online tutor from a small, recently set up enterprise specializing in English. They took care of him when the school assigned no teacher or tutor to him: he would have failed, on his own, otherwise... They were good. Not all online tutoring is good or reliable though, so watch out! Esp. the big ones. Hey are more interested in profit.

Anyway, if you need help for Language A or B, I might be able to help out. If you need more than I can offer, then I can point you to the same ones who did wonders for my cousin.