Does Sports matter to UK Universities?

Erudite

Hey all!

So I attended a talk with some college counsellors yesterday and while this lecture really stuck to US University applications, they really emphasised the importance of a balanced profile between academics, ECs and sports.

I have the academics and ECs down and I used to be in the school handball team until last year, but I took a step back since I have so much other stuff going on now that I'm in the IB. I mean I run and exercise to keep fit but that's obvi not like being in a team sport.

Can my Indian classical dance training count as an equivalent to a Sport? It definitely takes up a lot of energy and time and stamina!

Please let me know because I can always rejoin a sports team at school in IB2 if it's like super impactful on my chances at a top uni in the UK.

Thanks a lot!

IDOLS

*Do Sports

And nah, not really. Doing stuff like running, dancing, whatever you do to keep active is sufficient to show that you're an engaged member of society. If you've got proof that you've worked in a team in various other things, then that's all sporting achievements really say about you - skills of teamwork plus the fact you're more well-rounded.

...unless you're a pro at something, then put it in :P Who knows, they might be impressed.

• Like 1

*Do Sports

And nah, not really. Doing stuff like running, dancing, whatever you do to keep active is sufficient to show that you're an engaged member of society. If you've got proof that you've worked in a team in various other things, then that's all sporting achievements really say about you - skills of teamwork plus the fact you're more well-rounded.

...unless you're a pro at something, then put it in :P Who knows, they might be impressed.

Mad thanks for the reassurance!

I was really hoping it would be something along those lines. :D

*Do Sports

I have been playing tennis competitively form the age of 9 now 17 and have an international ranking....do you think that will make it easier to enter to uk unis?

Edited by bale
  • Like 2

It doesn't really matter. After all, I can't do sport and I still got decent offers.

I have been playing tennis competitively form the age of 9 now 17 and have an international ranking....do you think that will make it easier to enter to uk unis?

It might help a little since you play at such a high level, but they care a lot more about academics and what you do to show your enjoyment of the subject than your sporting achievements. If you're applying to a sports course then it becomes much easier to get scholarships.

• Like 2

Depends what universities....

A friend of mine got an offer from Durham to study Economics with a scholarship, and her offer was 32, way below the normal requirements.

That's not the case with all universities, and she might have just been lucky.

• Like 1