Can somebody advice me on how to start studying for my Biology HL exam in May?

Guest Fiorella

Guest Fiorella

Hello all! So we all just got the official dates for exams and if I'm correct, the bio HL paper 1&2 are may 13th? And then the day after paper 3 -_- Honestly, like many people were probably forced to do, I've only taken biology because I did not want to take chemistry or physics. In my 11th grade I did SL (that's how we did it at our school) and then I was forced to take HL this year because my new school doesn't offer SL. I got 5's and 6's in the SL exams but all I've gotten this year is 4's >.<

I guess part of my problem is that I tend to study like a day or two before the exams and it really doesn't work for me..I know I know, don't nag me hehe. I really really want to get a good grade on the final IB exam and I'm quite worried I will get a 4 or worse yet, not pass! There's so much stuff to study from that I don't even know how to begin, it's quite frustrating. For those of you that have already taken the biology HL exams from past years or those who are mourning with me right now (haha), please give me some good advice?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just realized I posted this as a lab report, I'm sorry! :/

Edited by Fiorella

hey there!

well im taking the exam next year but at my school we have this mock exam, which is this may :|... so i kinda share ur pain :D

so i started studying the parts that i wasnt really good at , like the stupid photosynthesis part :D

the way i study really helps me a lot and i think its worth trying the method i chose lol

so the thing u do is u have a paper and u open up ur book then u read it off to urself, then after understanding the text u note impo. things down neatly on the paper, next step: open up ur laptop and search for the topic like go to google and type down : IB biology Hl notes, and it all comes :D

then jot down the notes u find online , after all this just have a look over the paper and ur kinda done!

and the night be4 the exam u just study ur notes :D as simple as that!

oh oh and if u dont understand a topic so well just search for some animations they also help a lot! :D

oh and a link to some notes ;) : http://www.ibguides.com/biology/home

btw if u have any question in mind, message anytime:)

hope i could help!

I like making notes, but probably won't be able to do them for all of the topics. I will still make ones for paper 3 - just two topics, so I can write them, learn a little and then the day before the exam I will repeat just from the notes and maybe question bank.

About that, I usually go through syllabus when learning each topic and then I would check questions in the question bank altogether with answers 'cause there you can actually look up what they expect from you to be included in your response.

Just go through syllabus, you can find answers to each at click4biology.info or the book for IB Biology by Weem.

As to where to start, well, it depends. On one hand, you could start with more difficult things like, as said above, photosynthesis and cellular respiration (at least that's what is the worst for me). On the other hand, if you tend to get discouraged easily than maybe start with something you like more (for me it would be human, so I just go with human sl human hl and options which, for me, are both connected to human biology ;p).

Again, question bank or at least past papers help a lot. For P1 you could go through multiple choice questions as they aren't exactly the same, but they tend to focus on similar things, example - picture of meiosis and asking which stage it is.

And if you feel like procrastinating try watching some videos for IB Biology at yt or do some P1 past paper, it doesn't require that much of an effort, but still you don't waste time.

Don't know what more I could tell you, I just happen to like Biology, though alas I'm not gonna be able to revise all of the material ;p.

Guest Fiorella

Hello all! So we all just got the official dates for exams and if I'm correct, the bio HL paper 1&2 are may 13th? And then the day after paper 3 -_- Honestly, like many people were probably forced to do, I've only taken biology because I did not want to take chemistry or physics. In my 11th grade I did SL (that's how we did it at our school) and then I was forced to take HL this year because my new school doesn't offer SL. I got 5's and 6's in the SL exams but all I've gotten this year is 4's >.<

I guess part of my problem is that I tend to study like a day or two before the exams and it really doesn't work for me..I know I know, don't nag me hehe. I really really want to get a good grade on the final IB exam and I'm quite worried I will get a 4 or worse yet, not pass! There's so much stuff to study from that I don't even know how to begin, it's quite frustrating. For those of you that have already taken the biology HL exams from past years or those who are mourning with me right now (haha), please give me some good advice?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just realized I posted this as a lab report, I'm sorry! :/

HL:

Spanish B

English A

Biology

SL:

French B

Business&Management

Math studies

Extended essay in Spanish B; predicted score: A

I pray to God that I will get a B on the ToK essay...