Should I take IB Bio and IB Chem or Philosophy for my IB diploma?

Morgan1105

Hi guys!!! I am currently a sophmore and course registration for my junior year is coming up soon. I really want to take chemistry and biology since i want to be a Pharmacist, however, i don't know if i can handle it.... The only other option would be to take Philosophy. Philosophy does seem easier, however, i am so afraid that once i graduate i will regret not getting the exposure to two sciences that i could have. :eek: Also, chemistry is a little bit challenging for me. I have been making B's this entire year in that class which concerns me but i am hoping to make an A this last quater. The thing is- I like it, it's just that the tests are challenging. However, I am willing to work on chemistry and study it form a Zumdahl AP Chem book all summer as well as study Bio to prepare. My only concern is that i may not be able to handle double sciencing, extracurriculars, and maintaining a good GPA. So here are my options:

Chem HL

English HL

History HL

Chinese SL

Math SL

Bio SL

*I think that Math SL and Chinese SL will be easy for me to score high on

~~~~~or~~~~

Chem HL

English HL

History HL

Chinese SL

Math SL

Philosophy SL

I guess i am wondering if studying really hard over the summer will be enough to help me to do well in school.

Also any tips on how to do well with two sciences would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much for all the help!!! :phone:

Take subjects that you think you'll enjoy and won't mind spending much time on. If you are willing to spend much time on the two sciences then this will help you in the long run. Not to mention there's a lot of online resources for help. I would recommend Chemistry and Biology HL, if you want to go into pharmacy do not be put off by the work load of two sciences, if you think about it University or any other higher education courses will have a higher work load than this. Also Chemistry and Biology inter-lap quite a bit. Whereas the syllabus for Chemistry and Philosophy don't have anything in common. I've heard biology is mainly a lot of memorisation.

• Like 1

Thanks! Also, what do u think about me taking chem even though i have been making B's so far? Do you think Chem HL will be too hard for me to do well in even if i study hard for it over the summer?

Okay, my advice is you see those grades you've been getting/ gotten before? Forget about them. Dwelling on them is not going to help you whatsoever. You got a B in the past? Big deal. It's up to you to decide whether these past grades will define you and your Chemistry HL future. I think you have the ability to not let these grades have a bearing on you whatsoever. Maybe from time to time you can use them to remind you of the grades you do not want in Chemistry and help you focus on achieving the grades you want. Other than that to a determined student past grades can be overcome.

You can start in the summer if you are uber eager. What's important is to not burn out, that's one of the main problems with starting too early. Also the content might be a bit difficult to grasp by yourself, so I suggest a tutor if you can get one. It doesn't have to be some over-qualified professional. The IB kid who just wrote their exams may do as well.

Here's a few resources that may help you.

http://chemblog.liakatas.org/

http://www.youtube.com/user/richthornley?feature=CAQQwRs%3D

Just remember to set your priorities straight and constantly remind yourself why you are doing the course.

Good luck :)