Math IA involving probability

LaKarps

Hi!

I am trying to choose a topic for my first ib math ia topic and I was considering doing one involving probability because we just learned a lot about it. I was thinking about doing my paper about the probability involved in card counting for blackjack but am having trouble finding what formulas (if any) I would actually be using because the whole thing can't just be probability without replacement. Any suggestions? Or maybe should I just stick with doing a statistics type of IA paper?

Thanks!

Check out hypergeometric. It involves probabilities in which there is no replacement. It uses the concept of combinations. The May 2013 HL students did an IA on dice. That could be something you might to consider as well.

Edited by -._._.-
  • Like 1

Somebody feel free to correct me if something has changed about the Maths syllabus recently - but have the portfolio tasks for May 2015 even been released yet?! :blink: I don't think I've even seen any for exams May 2014, let alone 2015. Unless you're just doing old portfolios for fun.

Somebody feel free to correct me if something has changed about the Maths syllabus recently - but have the portfolio tasks for May 2015 even been released yet?! :blink: I don't think I've even seen any for exams May 2014, let alone 2015. Unless you're just doing old portfolios for fun.

From 2014 onwards, students now choose their own topics for the IA, there are no set portfolio tasks (that's why they gave us a killer Type II, it's a kind of a goodbye :P )