From IB to Med School

BIO-AQUA

What is the ideal med student? How much experience should one need before applying for med school. What activities should you do? What WOOWS the administration?

There is no ideal med student. We are all just people. What differs one person from another is how much that person works and fulfills his/her dream. For a med student in general, one must show some experiences. I mean what differs one applicant from another if both have good grades? You have to have some extra-curricular activities to shine in front of the admissions office and grab their attention. It is recommended to have some volunteer work in a clinic, hospital and/or medical center to show that you are capable of withstanding the pressures of becoming a doctor, and to show that this is who you really are.

Is it likes SUPER DUPER(heheh) difficult to enter med school, can it be IMPOSSIBLE for some applicants no matter how much they keep adding to their resume? How many times can you take the MCAT? If you took it twice, would you be rejected for life? I do not know the statistics and I can't seem to grasp the idea beyond "it is competitive".

It is not difficiult to enter medical school. You just need to sit down with yourself, and see if that is what you really want to do for the rest of your life. It is NOT impossible, but you have to work for it. If you take an objective look at it, you will see that our life is similar to it. You need to work to reach your goal, right? :D

As for your resume, you have to keep a good cumulative GPA to have your application looked at. Some schools take activities into consideration, plus the admission tests such as the SAT, the BMAT, and so on. As for the MCAT, you can take it in your junior college year, or senior year. It depends on the university itself if you can repeat the exam more than once, or if you have one time chance to do it and that's it. Some universities do offer a second chance, but they look at the second time scores even if the first ones are better. AGAIN, it depends on the university, so you might want to make some research and ask the admissions officer about their college policy.

Getting into med school is rather competitive. You need to show your capabilities and what you can do to others. For example, if you do get into the college that you're aiming for (as pre-med in US/Canada or med in other countries), you need to show that you're not interested in medicine solely for the advantages and prestige it gives you. Try to volunteer in a clinic, hospital or center (while you're doing your pre-med/med degree). Your college GPA, your MCAT scores and these activities are taken into consideration.

Hey if now I wanted to be taught in English, but I want to stay in Denmark, does that mean I have to relearn everything again in Danish? I mean if you were an English doctor moving to Japan... right..? lol

Well it depends on Denmark.. Do they have any Canadian or American universities. You might want to research on that a bit. :)

Note: I guess you were asking about school grades.. Well they do take them into account when you are admitted to college as a freshman/ sophomore (in case you're an IB Diploma student). However, if you want to get into med school from premed, then no (I guess); it's your college GPA + MCAT scores + activities. :) Check this out too!!

Hope this has helped. Have a nice day everyone. :D

• 4 weeks later...
i dont think there is direct med in canada,

but anyway, does anyone know about direct dentistry anywhere?

In Canada and the US, you have to do pre-med. Same applies to dentistry and law - pre-dentistry and pre-law. :P

In other countries such as the UK, you go directly into medicine or dentistry. In medicine, you have two years known as "Pre-clinical" then 4 years of med which add up to 6 years of medicine. :D

• 3 weeks later...

So how has it been going for you all? Anyone gotten any offers/interviews/rejections or so?

I haven't heard anything myself :D Just gotten the acknowledgements letter so far...

I've thinking of whether I should try out US, Canada or Ireland but Im still not sure. Applications along with all the extra tests can costs so much sometimes and then I don't know where to start, with unis and all, most particulary US.

So how has it been going for you all? Anyone gotten any offers/interviews/rejections or so?

I haven't heard anything myself :P Just gotten the acknowledgements letter so far...

I've thinking of whether I should try out US, Canada or Ireland but Im still not sure. Applications along with all the extra tests can costs so much sometimes and then I don't know where to start, with unis and all, most particulary US.

No offers yet, only acknowledgements.. I guess medicine takes a long time for universities to think about who to admit. :D

Well in the US, there's the Common Application, so you'll have to pay once but it gets sent to many universities - kind of like the UCAS. Canada follows the same thing (the Ontario System?)..

No offers yet, only acknowledgements.. I guess medicine takes a long time for universities to think about who to admit. :D

Well in the US, there's the Common Application, so you'll have to pay once but it gets sent to many universities - kind of like the UCAS. Canada follows the same thing (the Ontario System?)..

Same here. Only acknowledgements. Yes, I have heard about it and it sounds good.

My other problem with the US is that I don't know what major to do. They recommend you to take the major of your interest and skills and frankly, I have a lot of interests. For example, I am VERY interested in biology but sometimes it doesn't just coincide with the grades (I love it but I'm not as good at it as in other subjects) and I am also interested in litererature, psychology and etc. I even heard that people with majors in humanities scores better at the MCAT than people with science majors.

for ontario universities you have to use the OUAC COMPASS program...currently in the process of doing that...=S so much stress during the vacations too!!

i got two interviews=D

waiting for the other two which ive got acknowledgments for...=S...NERVE WRACKING (sp?!)

Woot, what uni have you got interviews at? Have you done them yet? I wish you ALL THE GOOD LUCK :P

Edited by Afterglow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I was wondering wut do med schools really love wut degree exactly.

To me im more of a ONLY science type of guy and problems w/ canadian and american universites are that we gotta do all this math stuff a little bit of phsyics etc which really annoys me.

My sister goes to McGill university and brags about their Bachelors of Arts and Science degree which apparently med schools really like. but like i dont really want to do history and stuff and i the bachelors of medicine and surgery program is more of my type of thing.

so as ib students wut do u think is more beneficial for a type of guy as me not considering any of the financial stuff. btw im still in pre-ib.

side-note- for a med student applyin to cambridge--- in the end what would be a higher point total if i were to choose itgs sl or psychology sl. our school doesnt offer sl economics so i was wonderin which one would be easier for me lol and more fun and less tedious.

well anyways thx bb.

• 5 months later...
Well in Australia, there are few undergraduate programs, but I don't exactly know wat the entry requirements would be because international students have different requirements, but you have the right subjects. Anyway the unis that offer undergrad med are:

Monash uni

UNSW

Uni of Newcastle

Uni of Adelaide

Uni of Western Sydney

James Cook Uni

Bond Uni

Uni of Western Australia

Uni of Tasmania

The best are probably monash, newcastle, UNSW, Utas

EDIT: For UNSW, Bond, and UWA international students will need to do the UMAT(undegraduate medical admissions test), for Monash international students will need to do the ISAT(dont ask me I have never heard of it this website might be useful though www.acer.edu.au/ISAT ), for uni of adelaide international students will need to do the PQA(onc again dont ask me)

You forgot the University of QUEENSLAND! Which is also one of the best in Aus. ranking: 33 in the world!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I found everything written here very useful, but unfortunately could not read every comment here, but i was wondering..

i'm a US citizen, and i want to attend UK schools - with the 5 year med programme, instead of 4 years pre med blah blah

anyways, in the long run do you think there is an effect of a UK doctoral/certified doctor who works in the US?

& which is better to practice medicine? - US or UK?

I NEED ANSWERS QUICK!

thank youuu!!