From IB to Med School

BIO-AQUA

Hi everyone,

Don't worry guys, you'll finish it. Just make it from you heart and all the words will come out sooner or later. Give it to an English teacher to correct it, or you can give it to me (with all the work I have done on mine, trust me, I can handle the challenge >.< ). I would be more than glad to help; of course, maintaining the confidentiality and taking into consideration that the UCAS form must be filled out and sent in less than two weeks now - no pressure. :innocent:

Edited by BIO-AQUA

Thank you >.< I am going to give it a try and hey, if I get rejected there are always other options to try or to get in like re-applying and etc.

I have finished my whole UCAS form except from the PS and the reference. I am afraid the refrence have to wait until after october the 5th because my predicted grade in bio might change to a 6 instead of a 5 if I do well on the test we have then.

I still need to plan on who to write my reference. The one who knows me the best is the head of the IB but he is sort of a relative (father to my brother's girlfriend). The IBC barely knows my name. My mentor knows me ok but not good enough in my own opinion. I mean ok, she is my mentor, supervisor (EE) and my English teacher but...oh, touch decision :D

Booh I feel bad. My PS needs to be very strong because of my grades and UKCAT results and I had finished it and had it proofread at the TSR help, only to find that apperently it is dreadful and that I need more work experience which is impossible for me at the moment.

*sniffles* I'm in the kind of state when I now think I will never ever become a doctor. Maybe it's just not for me.

*goes to have dinner and work on psychology ia*

"dont stop believing..hold on to that feeling"

i also had it approved by tsr...n they also ripped it apart and i did everything to redo it and make it better..just keep on trying....keep on rewriting and you will see at the end it will b perfect >.< as bioaqua said...treat it as an ee...as if u r shooting for those 3 extra points... :lol: dont b discouraged try to make the ps good..umm try doing some experience likeee... try to b part of a society in school and then just state that u learned something out of it... and if u ever need some help/advice im here :D (hah this sounds kind of emotional reading it..but please dont feel bogged down!)

No, it actually sounds very valid and makes me feel a great deal better (although it could also be because I had a whole chocolate cake afterwards heh :D ). It did bring me down because I don't have perfect grades and am disavantaged in comparison of other applications but I thought more about it, researched and feel a tiny bit more optimistic. At least one can try eh?

I wonder what other options however of medicine there are. I want to study in an English-speaking country. England my main choice. Australia is just...too far and too expensive >.< USA is the same thing but I could consider it although the whole application process and then the fact that you still need to do the MCAT (and that the difference between amount of people doing pre-med and med is huge) confuses as well as scares me. Not to mention, the fees. I barely have money to buy a new winterjacket and while UK is expensive, going to USA/Australia will be twice as expensive for me as an international student.

Anyone know any other options of studying meds? I would do it here sure because then I'll get to do it for free (uni is free in Sweden) but they want physics as well + at LEAST 40 points + high scores at an admission test. And it would go against my other dream of going abroad :lol:

Would you recommend going to a country that doesn't have English as official language? I mean, how would that work? Any recommendations?

I'm sorry if I ask a lot of questions :P

No, it actually sounds very valid and makes me feel a great deal better (although it could also be because I had a whole chocolate cake afterwards heh :D ). It did bring me down because I don't have perfect grades and am disavantaged in comparison of other applications but I thought more about it, researched and feel a tiny bit more optimistic. At least one can try eh?

I wonder what other options however of medicine there are. I want to study in an English-speaking country. England my main choice. Australia is just...too far and too expensive :lol: USA is the same thing but I could consider it although the whole application process and then the fact that you still need to do the MCAT (and that the difference between amount of people doing pre-med and med is huge) confuses as well as scares me. Not to mention, the fees. I barely have money to buy a new winterjacket and while UK is expensive, going to USA/Australia will be twice as expensive for me as an international student.

Anyone know any other options of studying meds? I would do it here sure because then I'll get to do it for free (uni is free in Sweden) but they want physics as well + at LEAST 40 points + high scores at an admission test. And it would go against my other dream of going abroad :P

Would you recommend going to a country that doesn't have English as official language? I mean, how would that work? Any recommendations?

I'm sorry if I ask a lot of questions :D

As beli16 said, never feel pessimistic regarding anything in life. If God shuts a door, then He opens a window, right?

As for your PS: first of all, read the PS thread in the University Forum. That is bound to help. (Read my post too!). You might as well send me your PS to proofread it and send it back to you.

As for the med schools, have you considered an American University in a non-English speaking country? There are thousands of those, so you might want to research them. Regarding the fees, I guess there are student organizations that provide big help when it comes to payments, and you can work for them to pay your expenses later on. That's one solution to your problem.

Try to work hard on your grades this year. The universities do look at a difference (even by one mark), and if you are determined enough, you might get into one of the top med schools in the UK.. Who knows?! >.<

Hope this has helped. Have a nice day. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cairoprincess

IM DONE WITH MY PERSONAL STATEMENT!!!!

i need it to be really good because my grades are **** and i only got a 570 on my ukcat for med school in england!

i dont think i will be able to get in anywhere, im so ****ed!

IM DONE WITH MY PERSONAL STATEMENT!!!!

i need it to be really good because my grades are **** and i only got a 570 on my ukcat for med school in england!

i dont think i will be able to get in anywhere, im so ****ed!

Congrats but erm...I hope you've sent in your application yesterday or at least before yesterday because the deadline was the 16th.

So those who have applied to UK. Where did you apply? :D (wants to see if anyone applied to the same as me)

I've applied to Manchester, St George, East Anglia and Peninsula.

Let's keep our thumbs for everyone and for those who are doing the BMAT on the 31st, good luck! It's approaching rapidly :P

yess

its approaching too quicklyy

i just got acknowledged by ucll :)

if you mean UCL then.....ALREADY?!??!?! :D

I've applied to Cambridge, UCL and Imperial.. After giving it much thought, I'm no longer interested in the UK :D .. The situation is overcomplicated for me, and I think I'm going to crack! :D

As for the BMAT, yup! The test date is approaching, so good luck everyone. :)

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. Just take a deep breath and then take one thing at a time. What do you mean with overcomplicated? :/

I've been thinking of also applying to the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. I mean their IB requirements looks ok for the 6th year and they say that for Eu applications the tutition is governmental free ( :D ). The application starts in november so there's still time to research about it and prepare. Beside, what do I have to lose but maybe some money and hours? :P

• 2 weeks later...

What is the ideal med student? How much experience should one need before applying for med school. What activities should you do? What WOOWS the administration?

Is it likes SUPER DUPER(heheh) difficult to enter med school, can it be IMPOSSIBLE for some applicants no matter how much they keep adding to their resume? How many times can you take the MCAT? If you took it twice, would you be rejected for life? I do not know the statistics and I can't seem to grasp the idea beyond "it is competitive".

Hey if now I wanted to be taught in English, but I want to stay in Denmark, does that mean I have to relearn everything again in Danish? I mean if you were an English doctor moving to Japan... right..? lol

for med school, it is indeed very difficult to get in.

They look at your college GPA as well as interview. I'm not sure if they trace back to high school, but i just hope not.

as a side note, i just got my SAT scores back from teh october SAT, and the scores were ****ing terrible!!! i was expecting 780 for math, but college board screwed up IMO, and gave me 710 instead... they are sooo messed up!!!

sorry i got off track, that was some dirty rants right there :D