From IB to Med School

BIO-AQUA

Good day everyone,

Thought that a thread like this might help around here, taking into consideration the large amounts of IB students around here looking forward to med school. In this thread, you can discuss, ask questions and/or share opinions about application procedures, personal statements and anything regarding going to med school - from the IB of course... Well then, enjoy!! (This post is copied from the same thread on TSR, just to highlight a few things).

The Pre-med System (American and some Canadian Universities)

Pre-med (as in four year undergraduate study) means that you have to accomplish three things:

- You have to have a Bachelor (BS) degree in any field (some universities prefer biology or chemistry..). Well, it's according to the university, but some say it's ok to go into any faculty, yes, any faculty.

- You have to finish some courses set by the university. These include a mix of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English and Math courses. (Look at the bright side: If you take some of these at higher level in the IB, then credits are taken into account! :( )

- An MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) which tests you on the courses mentioned above. Those that score the highest/ a pass in the test are accepted into med school; that's why the percentage acceptance with respect to the total number of students entering pre-med is low. :( Anyway, if you are accepted, then you're in!! :(

As an IB Diploma student, many universities accept you as a sophomore student instead of a freshman. This means that you have three years of pre-med instead of four! :( Again, that depends on the university you're willing to enter.

Where to study?

Many people just wonder where to study medicine. I'm actually one of them. Is it best to choose the American system (3 years pre-med + 4 years med) or British system (2 years pre-clinical + 5 years med) or another system? When it comes ot the number of years, it's approximately the same, taking into account that the american system allows the student to take summer courses, which shorten the years spent, right? So which to choose? Well the answer is wather simple. Research the universities that offer medicine in different parts of the world, the ones that you like and best suit you when it comes to tuition fees, educational environment and country. Ask your university advisor and IBC regarding your marks and the percentage acceptance and competition when it comes to them. Take some time to narrow down your choices and apply to many universities. Remember, you can apply to as many as you wish, but eventually you have to make up your mind. :(

Personal Statements - Medicine

Here are a few things that all future med students should take into account when writing their personal statements (ps);

- You must mention relevant work experience, show motivation and passion towards the study and practise of medicine, team-work, communication skills and a well-rounded persona.

- 99% of applicants are interviewed. What are the odds that you might not be one of them?! Be strong and courageous. Don't be afraid to talk and discuss any info or specific details that help in your overall admission.

- Don't be boring in your PS, be enthusiastic and grab the attention of the admissions officer who will be reading a lot of personal statements.

- Keep things simple and don't try to overimpress the people with flowery language. Be straight and right to the point. Avoid the BLA BLAs- you know.

- Be honest, and most importantly, be yourself. We hear that a lot in our lifetime, don't we?.. Then why not use it for once as a change?! :(

Difference between meds, biomeds and biochemistry

Biomedical engineering (BME) is basically the application of engineering principles and techniques to the medical field. It combines the design and problem solving expertise of engineering with the medical expertise of physicians to help improve patient health care and the quality of life of healthy individuals.

As for medicine, it is the study of the human body with pharmacological sciences leading to the title of a doctor. Biochemistry is the study of the chemical processes and transformations in living organisms. It deals with the structure and function of cellular components, such as proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids, and other biomolecules. It is a combination of biology and chemistry. (If you take IB Chemistry, then you can refer to Option C to give you a clearer picture). This subject can be taken as a premed course (college major) leading to med school. It is also integral in medicine and biomedical engineering.

As for research to do with medicine or Biomedical, you have to ask an expert on that! :(

Admission Tests

Post any question you have on this thread and/or visit this page.

Have a nice day everyone. :)

• Like 2

Thank you for making this thread here as well. It is really nice to talk to someone else who also has the same dreams and can understand.

I need to rant because I still don't know what to do now. My chances of getting in to the UK has decreased since I got my predicted grades (33,5 *sobs* and there are two universites that have a minimum of 31 and 33 - peninsula and manchester pre-med. 2 with 34 - east anglia and st george but there I am a half point short) Problem is they want a 6 (7 for ea) in a science, I have a 5 :(

I was thinking of going to USA or Australia but the problem is

- I don't know where to start

- I don't know when the deadline is for entry late 2008 or early 2009

- the money for all the admission tests, interviews and such

It just feels like my dream is falling apart :(

Edited by Afterglow

Well in Australia, there are few undergraduate programs, but I don't exactly know wat the entry requirements would be because international students have different requirements, but you have the right subjects. Anyway the unis that offer undergrad med are:

Monash uni

UNSW

Uni of Newcastle

Uni of Adelaide

Uni of Western Sydney

James Cook Uni

Bond Uni

Uni of Western Australia

Uni of Tasmania

The best are probably monash, newcastle, UNSW, Utas

EDIT: For UNSW, Bond, and UWA international students will need to do the UMAT(undegraduate medical admissions test), for Monash international students will need to do the ISAT(dont ask me I have never heard of it this website might be useful though www.acer.edu.au/ISAT ), for uni of adelaide international students will need to do the PQA(onc again dont ask me)

Thank you for making this thread here as well. It is really nice to talk to someone else who also has the same dreams and can understand.

I need to rant because I still don't know what to do now. My chances of getting in to the UK has decreased since I got my predicted grades (33,5 *sobs* and there are two universites that have a minimum of 31 and 33 - peninsula and manchester pre-med. 2 with 34 - east anglia and st george but there I am a half point short) Problem is they want a 6 (7 for ea) in a science, I have a 5 :(

I was thinking of going to USA or Australia but the problem is

- I don't know where to start

- I don't know when the deadline is for entry late 2008 or early 2009

- the money for all the admission tests, interviews and such

It just feels like my dream is falling apart :(

OK.. First of all, never ever feel so pessimistic towards something. It's your dream right? Then work for it and don't sob. :innocent: Anyhow, don't really know much about the UK universities, but I guess they might look at the fact that you have progressed during your senior year and have made some change. Desptite taking the junior year's grades, they might consider the new grades. You have to ask more on this issue.

As for the US universities, you have to do the SAT I Reasoning Test (see the Admission Test Thread). Each university sets a minimum grade, so you might want to research some good universities, even not those in the US, and the grades they demand for the SATs. You are also advised to do the TOEFL or IELTS if your first language is not English and are not taking English A1 in the IB. Also, see the minimum grade required by the university.

When it comes to entries for Late 2008, it's always between late sept/early oct - jan/feb depending on each university. Always apply early and quickly to be on the safe side. Be on close contact with the admissions office, and repeat any admission test that they require you to (I'm retaking the SAT, though I got a good grade in it :( ).

As for interviews, I guess (not really sure) that you don't have to travel half the world just to make an interview for med school (if you're considering the US itself). They always look at the Personal Statement (See above), your IB grades + grades 9 and 10, and the admission tests. For their prices, visit the admission tests thread and check each test site for further info.

And thank you Bandev for your help. :(

Hope this has helped. Have a nice day. :(

Well in Australia, there are few undergraduate programs, but I don't exactly know wat the entry requirements would be because international students have different requirements, but you have the right subjects.

Well I just happened to be volunteering for UNSW Open Day yesterday and was looking at the Int'l Students Prospectus. The highest IB requirement for UNSW for 2008 entry is at 36 points for Optometry. I think Med is around 34 or up to 36. It may change if you're in for 2009 entry but I wouldn't think it would change much. I've never seen UNSW requirement for IB for any course over 36. I think that's because that's it as UAI-IB conversion go. :(

I think you're May 08 right? The plus side of Australian unis is that if you want to wait a while, for entry in Feb 09, you could wait till you get your results then apply to unis, which means you'll just show them your real grade right away. It's much less hassle getting an offer that way, because they'll just either say yes or no, and usually you'll get a reply quite quick because of that.

That said, don't ask me about Med. I don't even know where the Med Faculty at UNSW is. :( Oh, I do know, however, med at UNSW is 6 years. :(

Well first of all we don't call Medicine, med school. But I don't if it is true. But the reason why it would be easier for international students is because it is easier to get in because Australian unis love international sutdents because they bring alot of money to the uni, Australian students pay less than half wat the international students do, and then a bit more than half of that half is payed by the government for australian students.

Btw I was wondering. Does anyone know anything about how to go from biomedical sciences to medicine graduate? Is it possible and are there any special requirements? For the UK that is.

You might want to ask the university, since you go directly to med in the UK. In the US system however, it is considered as an undergraduate major, thus you can easily apply to medicine as a major provided that you pass the MCAT.

Guest yeemonkyaw

yaayyy. Im going to a med school definitely. I was wanting to inquire something about the scholarships that one could apply for even though it is for undergrate programs. yeah its pretty rare. Since i want to persue the degree till Ph.D, its going to take like minimum 9 to 13 years (probably a long *** one) which i could barely afford for. but anyhow!!

Im also looking at the schools with PMS ( partner medical school programme) such as IMU in malaysia like after 5 semester, another 5 or 6 semesters of total 5-6 years (depending on the school) can be continued abroad in its partner schools. Another university that i am interested in is charles university in Czechkoslovakia(without PMS). i havnt come to a solid decision as to which university i would like to go for. i realized that it is a high time that i start applying.(so much feaking out!..really!!http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

so what are the other universities and colleges that you guyz are looking at??

yaayyy. Im going to a med school definitely. I was wanting to inquire something about the scholarships that one could apply for even though it is for undergrate programs. yeah its pretty rare. Since i want to persue the degree till Ph.D, its going to take like minimum 9 to 13 years (probably a long *** one) which i could barely afford for. but anyhow!!

Im also looking at the schools with PMS ( partner medical school programme) such as IMU in malaysia like after 5 semester, another 5 or 6 semesters of total 5-6 years (depending on the school) can be continued abroad in its partner schools. Another university that i am interested in is charles university in Czechkoslovakia(without PMS). i havnt come to a solid decision as to which university i would like to go for. i realized that it is a high time that i start applying.(so much feaking out!..really!!http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

so what are the other universities and colleges that you guyz are looking at??

Good day,

Well basically if you're thinking of applying to a scholarship; here's the deal:

- Check the University you're applying to. Contact the admissions office and ask about the scholarship programs they have. :D

- Check whether they require an admission test (please visit this page) and try to ace it (as much as possible of course). :P

- Try to manage your IB. They look for good predicted grades, good letters of recommendation and good final grades. Do well in these too. :huh:

Hope you and everyone looking for one gets it!! As for me, I'm not really sure where to study. Maybe AUB (Lebanon), UK, Canada, or Austria. Still, the decision is open. :lol:

Have a nice day everyone. :D

Guest yeemonkyaw

:) yes..i have just sat for TOEFL since the malasysian universities tend to ask for it even though i have taken english HL....i dont know really but some people say that it is not needed if one takes HL in english. and umm.... i will be sitting for the SAT in october. Since im feeling pretty much indecisive about the where i want to land up, im just preparing for it and taking tests. i still want all my options to be opened and still looking forward to more choices even though my parents are strongly inclined towards IMU as such!! :P i dont want to study in malaysia so much though. :P

So keep me updated about the universities and colleges that you will be looking at?...

thanks

the 15 of october is slowly coming for all us uk applicants..

i was just wondering....

-how is ur ps coming?

-ucas form?

-what unis are you applying to?

-how did ur ukcat/studying for bmat go?

-how is ur second yr of ib coming along?

well let me start... :)

-ps.. havent started yet :0

-ucas form is done except ps :P but i still dont find where i have to put my high school grades in!!

-cambridge, ucl, hull-york, imperial

-ukcat average of 700..still have to start studying for bmat :P

-first week of ib2 is donneee...cant believe exams are soo soonnn!!

cant wait to have answers from u guys:)

So today I emailed all the universities that I had been thinking of applying to in the UK and asked them for advice regarding the predicted grades situation ie I got predicted grades that were slightly too low and I myself don't thinkt they are correct as I am aiming for higher and is thus wondering if i should apply and risk being rejected before interview or apply next year with my real grades.

-how is ur ps coming?

Not so good. There isn't much time and now I am debating whether I even need to write it since I might not even apply this year.

-ucas form?

I have everything written but the reference (will be done by my IBC) and the personal statement. The most important things ....

I was considering manchester, peninsula medical school, st george and then debating between cardiff, east anglia and kings college.

I got an average result for the ukcat :P

It's actually going better than last year with the essays and such. Although I have grown very tired of studying.

Not really sure.. I still don't know where I'm going. Anyways, I have an appointment this coming Wednesday with the university advisor at our school, so starting Wed. I'll hopefully start applying. I have a lot of questions, and if you have ones too, post them here before Wed. and I can ask them for you. :P

-how is ur ps coming?

Didn't really start yet. Have some questions regarding the major (whether it's pre-med or med :P )

-ucas form?

There is one?! :) We'll see about this then. ;)

Thought of Oxbridge, Imperial and University College London.

Looking forward to the BMAT on Oct 31st. :P

It's a lot better than last year. I feel much grown up now, though the work load is enormous.

Thanks a lot. :)

I'm not really looking forward to the UK.. It's just I'm applying to be on the safe side. My priority is AUB then McGill, and Austria might be good too.

Well I did meet my advisor, and the appointment really helped. Now I have a big picture with regard to what I should do. A piece of advice to prospective med students, finish your applications by late September (instead of waiting for the last minute). There are letters of recommendation that need to be filled out by teachers, as well as the predicted grades that we will never know. :(

As for the ucas form, I guess there are 4/5 universities that we can apply to, and another random one that the ucas chooses (me thinks) if you want. In case you're not familiar with these terms, here you go:

- FIRM: means that you're going there for sure. It's a firm decision. :P

- INSURANCE: means that it's a second choice university, might consider going there or not. :(

- CONDITIONAL: means that you have to meet certain requirements, without which it becomes difficult/impossible to get in. :(

- UNCONDITIONAL: welcome, you're in! :(

Also, check the websites of the universities you're applying for. Many universities have their Fall 2008 applications ready, so you can easily and readily fill them out.

P.S Check the Personal Statement thread in the University forum, it's really helpful. Thank you administrators. :P

Hope this has helped. Have a nice day everyone. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Done and Done!! :P

I am finally done with my Personal Statement.. Copying it into my UCAS account in a couple of days now. Just waiting for the teacher's letters of recommendation and predicted grades to send my info off.

A piece of advice, try to finish the PS as soon as possible.. It takes less than an hour to finish the first draft. :P