Korean B HL written assignment

johnnykim

Hi,

I'm doing the Korean B HL course and I have to write a written assignment. I read the syllabus and talked to the IB coordinatorat my school(as my school does not have a korean teacher), and I was told that I had to write something creative. Can this be just an essay with a topic on a particular aspect on the literature? Do I lose marks if the written assignment isn't creative enough?

Thanks

Doubt there are any marchschemes on WAs, cause it's a new thing, being introduced this year. As far as I know, WA in language B HL cannot be non-creative because you have to show your understanding of a novel by adding something to it. I wrote an added ending to a novel.

Some other ideas could be that you interview a character from a Korean novel, add a new ending (like Gaby said), extend the story etc. You have to adapt Korean literature for a Language B HL WA (instead of basing it on Korean articles like SL), but the literature can be a short story (which was what I did).

• Like 1

it isn't necessarily required to be "creative" but my teacher did recommend it. keep in mind though that, you do have to write a rationale/justification saying why you chose the topic and why you chose the writing style (diary, letter, etc.) you did. This kind of fits into the whole creative thing IMHO.

it would be helpful if you had access to the markscheme because ib's crazy about mark-schemes.. Why don't you ask your school?

I've looked at the marking criteria and it says I can use the text forms in paper 2 which essays,interviews,diaries. So it says that I can write an essay about it. Since it says that I wont lose marks for writing an essay will I?

Is 'creativity' part of the criteria? If it is, then I think it would be better for you to play it safe and do something that shows your 'creativity' as well as your 'analysis'. If you would like to write an essay, you could write one about an important theme using the voice of a character from your novel, which was actually what I did for my English IOP.. Which novel did you read btw (just curious)?

Guest protub

Hi jognny, have a look at your syllabus and see if there is anything about creativity. If so, then yes, you should do what the marking schedule says.

By the way, do you know what the word/character count conversion rate for Korean is?

Eg. 300-400 in english = __ Korean?

Hi jognny, have a look at your syllabus and see if there is anything about creativity. If so, then yes, you should do what the marking schedule says.

By the way, do you know what the word/character count conversion rate for Korean is?

Eg. 300-400 in english = __ Korean?

I know that 1english word= 2.3 korean characers. So that means that I have to times 2.3 to 500 or 600 for my w/a doesn't it?

Is 'creativity' part of the criteria? If it is, then I think it would be better for you to play it safe and do something that shows your 'creativity' as well as your 'analysis'. If you would like to write an essay, you could write one about an important theme using the voice of a character from your novel, which was actually what I did for my English IOP.. Which novel did you read btw (just curious)?

It doesn't mention anything about creativity, I just have to use the literature effectively. i read "난장이가 쏘아올린 작은 공"-조세희

Guest protub

Yep it does Johnny.

By creativity your teacher might be referring to your text type.

eg. if you write a letter make it look like a letter with the address, etc.