IB Math SL questions..

Bumblebee

I have a couple questions about SL math...

so, I'm currently in the course and just got our first IA back and um...kinda failed it..but this was our teacher's mark, so is it going to change? I mean, it still needs to get moderated, right? I'm so confused on this whole process :$

Also, if I get a 7 on the exam, what is the minimum /40 score required to get atleast a level 6 for the course?

Edited by Bumblebee

Your teacher's mark may change, because your IA (or a sample of your class') will be sent to be marked and moderated. Your teacher's mark is more of a benchmark for you to know whereabouts you are at.

And I think to get a 7, I think it's approximately 25/40 marks in the IAs overall if you get 100% in your exams. Not sure exactly, but it's about that. (At least a borderline 6/7.)

When I was doing the Math IA, an arbitrary bunch would be selected (a few high scoring portfolios and a few low ones) after our teacher would mark them and they would be sent off to the IBO for moderation. If the IBO sees a considerable discrepancy in the marking, they will take action to moderate all the portfolios marked by your teacher either up or down accordingly. If not, then the scores will stay the same.

So depending on how your teacher marked your cohort's portfolios, it could go either way.

No one can really answer your second question, because IB scores are determined by grade boundaries that are only released after your exam session is over. The boundaries for an evaluation/exam are likely to change a little bit every year; for example the amount of marks you need to get a 7 in a portfolio (it was 34 in my year I think) changes for the batch of IB candidates.