Are MYP grades taken into account in university applications?

fcb1013

It depends on the university, but most unis won't care whether your MYP grades are good or horrible, the only thing they normally look at is your IB points. Some unis look at your performance the last three years, though. I'd suggest you read the requirements at the universities you find interesting to get the general picture.

They'd look at your MYP year-5 grades (10th equivalent). I've heard that MYP-5 does not have any external exams (like the IGCSE) and it's all internals that count so I don't really know if unis would consider the school grades but I do know that they need the 10th equivalent grades.

US - yes very strictly in most of the states. They usually look at your reports from past 3-4 years. I'm not sure about the number but they definitely have to look at your past reports so it obviously means that they do take them into account.

UK - NOPE! they only look at your IB diploma credits, your personal statement etc...

CANADA - Very flexible as their requirements are often not so high as well. They only look at your IB final grades as well.

US - yes very strictly in most of the states. They usually look at your reports from past 3-4 years. I'm not sure about the number but they definitely have to look at your past reports so it obviously means that they do take them into account.

UK - NOPE! they only look at your IB diploma credits, your personal statement etc...

CANADA - Very flexible as their requirements are often not so high as well. They only look at your IB final grades as well.

Not exactly true, I understand that generally you're right, but if you're looking at higher up universities such as LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, they do take into account how many A* GCSEs (or equivalent) you have, as the competition is fiercer they use more means to decipher the best - consistent academic record works in your favour here. They say the average Oxbridge applicant has at least 6 A*s or something, and bear in mind this is applicant and not who gets in! :P

Just saying, generally I think you're correct, but technically it's not a flat out nope because they do look at those, and take them into account for competitive courses/unis :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not exactly true, I understand that generally you're right, but if you're looking at higher up universities such as LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, they do take into account how many A* GCSEs (or equivalent) you have, as the competition is fiercer they use more means to decipher the best - consistent academic record works in your favour here. They say the average Oxbridge applicant has at least 6 A*s or something, and bear in mind this is applicant and not who gets in! :P

Just saying, generally I think you're correct, but technically it's not a flat out nope because they do look at those, and take them into account for competitive courses/unis :)

Well i had rough interviews with my councilor as i haven't applied to any of those places lol, so you're probably right.

Edited by shad0wboss

Yeah, s'fair enough :) I only really think they care that much as I say at the top courses/unis, because they're so competitive that they can't base it on IB/ A Level alone because everybody will have outstanding predictions :/ So they narrow it down further with things like GCSEs, entrance exams, Personal Statements, ECs. I have a friend at school who applied for Physics at Oxford. Now, you've only got to meet him to see that he's worthy of a place - guy is always doing physics and maths, he can solve anything! He even was part of the group at my school (my engineering nerd friends :P) who won the UK Space Design Competition and went to NASA to compete in the next one. (National Space Design Competition?)

He clearly had an outstanding PS, outstanding GCSEs, outstanding IB Prediction, I don't know much about his interview but he seemed pleased with it, I mean he knows what he's talking about and he's very passionate and likeable so he wouldn't have slipped up there. You know what made them reject him? Slipped a couple of marks on his PAT (physics aptitude test) -.- they must have narrowed it down so that someone who was equal/near equal in other respects but pulled off a better PAT got it. It's tough!

I think you're right, that's what I heard as well. Most the applicants meet their IB requirements anyway...

Not only that, but sometimes someone could slightly miss their IB offer and they get in anyway... admittedly that's more rare at top unis, but still. As for looking only at Year 11, well that would depend on if all your GCSEs were done in Year 11 :P (for UK) I mean, I had a couple in Year 9, a couple in Year 10, and the rest in Year 11. They don't distinguish between the years, just the GCSE grades (obviously this is UK still, can't speak for elsewhere) :)

They'd look at your MYP year-5 grades (10th equivalent). I've heard that MYP-5 does not have any external exams (like the IGCSE) and it's all internals that count so I don't really know if unis would consider the school grades but I do know that they need the 10th equivalent grades.

yeah, in myp-5 we only have normal assignments and the personal project

Just to add to the significance of GCSE (or equivalent) grades, some Universities now require a minimum GCSE grade of C in Maths, English Language and a foreign language in order to apply, e.g. University College London. I'm not sure how this translates to MYP grades. Other Universities do their first round of selection based on GCSE grades, eg. reportedly Birmingham for Medicine.

GCSEs remain the best predictors of performance at University (apparently!).