HL Textbooks for 2014 exams

cricketcrazynerd

I don't do maths higher (nor standard for that matter), but having three different sources, I believe is a good amount to acing any subject. Remember, the internet is an incredible resource as well. I'm sure that if you're struggling in a particular topic and after using all your textbooks, you will be able to find a youtube video or another explanation online :)

That's more than sufficient in my opinion. Those books, alongside the IB questionbanks for an assortment of past exam questions will prove to be your most valuable resource for mathematics. The internet is also a valuable resource, PatrickJMT and khanacademy are both extremely useful for mathematics.

• Like 2

Yep, IB question bank is wonderful - try and get 2nd edition and 3rd edition - that gives a lot of choice in terms of questions. Past papers are also really good, and should be for practice. I mean, seriously, I would not dispute the advice of Hus. :) I think the old syllabus is similar to the new syllabus, just with the explicit treatment of matrices taken out (though that may still be useful) and some other changes in content and the options topic, so old textbooks should still be useful to study from as long as you note what syllabus changes have been made. And acing maths HL is not a matter of books - it's a matter of practice, so start practising now! Something I should do myself...

• Like 1

Yep, IB question bank is wonderful - try and get 2nd edition and 3rd edition - that gives a lot of choice in terms of questions. Past papers are also really good, and should be for practice. I mean, seriously, I would not dispute the advice of Hus. :) I think the old syllabus is similar to the new syllabus, just with the explicit treatment of matrices taken out (though that may still be useful) and some other changes in content and the options topic, so old textbooks should still be useful to study from as long as you note what syllabus changes have been made. And acing maths HL is not a matter of books - it's a matter of practice, so start practising now! Something I should do myself...

Thanks, that's what i really wanted to know, how different are the two courses. Yeah, been doing lots of practise (functions and exponents/ logs) these days coz i have a test coming soon (already?!?!?) Happy Studying!

That's more than sufficient in my opinion. Those books, alongside the IB questionbanks for an assortment of past exam questions will prove to be your most valuable resource for mathematics. The internet is also a valuable resource, PatrickJMT and khanacademy are both extremely useful for mathematics.

haven't heard about PatrickJMT before, but it seems useful :)

Gotta trust your advice coz you're one of the smart people with 45/45!

Congrats on that as well :)

Thanks, that's what i really wanted to know, how different are the two courses. Yeah, been doing lots of practise (functions and exponents/ logs) these days coz i have a test coming soon (already?!?!?) Happy Studying!

Well, here's a link that might clarify course changes http://www.ibo.org/recognition/dpchanges/documents/Group5UniversityGuide.e.pdf if you can't figure it out by trawling the whole new syllabus compared to the old. Good luck on your test - there's still a long way to go, in hindsight my exams this time last year were on such a small part of the course that it's funny now. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Our School uses the Haese and Harris (2014 exams) one. It is a good book, although I dont have much to compare it to. Also, you can get a 'worked solutions' book. It has all the answers, with working out to all the questions. It is very useful; a very good accompaniment. I'm constantly photocopying pages out of our teachers... I should probabally get one of my own.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haese and Harris sucks in my opinion. Doesn't prepare you for IB style questions. Use it only to grasp concepts and practice new formulas and stuff. Almost died while trying to depend only on the Haese and Harris

What really should help you are past papers. Solving mountainloads of past IB HL Maths questions does help tons. Helps me get 7s :-D