Hello, fellow IBers!

I have been taking the IB diploma for half a year now, and so far the only thing we have handed in is our first Written Task.

We have been doing a lot of reading, so far we have read 3 out of the 6 literary works we are supposed to have read within these two years.

Is this unusual?

My teacher said it was difficult to grade us on the half-year report card because the only thing she had to look at was our Written Task 1.

I do English Lit HL, but I'm sure it's similar. I think that's completely normal. This time last year, I think we had finished our Part 4 aspect (so we had done our IOP) and that's all we had done. Over the summer we did out World Literature essay and last week we finished our IOC. Don't forget though, for each coursework element we have to do 3 books/poetry collections (which takes up a fair bit of time).

Don't worry about it, your teachers know what they are doing :)

That sounds about right. I think the only thing we did last year was our IOPs and one written assigment (World Lit Paper) which we actually only handed in now, in our second year. I think the writing in class is different teacher to teacher/school to school....

3 out of 6 sounds right, it's generally either World Lit first semester and then poetry/prose second, or flipped. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of World Lit...

Anyways, don't worry too much, most of the stuff that goes to IB for your score, you hand in your second year :)

That's the way IB is done in Norway, and many other places. Many of the IAs are to be done the second year. Some of the language-based IAs (such as the written tasks, world literature essay and IOPs) can be done the first year, depending on how your teachers have structured the two years.The first year is often just about attaining the knowledge level required for the IAs.

In contrast to our class, yes! We've handed in 7 commentaries (I'm guessing this was all just practice), further oral stuff, and a written task 1 draft. We also started reading some poetry and a book!

Then again, I take lang/lit SL.

Right, I think we did that too, I was just referring to the actual things that count towards your IB grade, which are:

your IOP in grade 11

your WL paper (and/or written task) which you finalize and hand in your second year

your oral commentary, which, as far as I know is generally your second year as well,

and then your actual IB exam, second year as well

Unless I forgot something, those are the components of your IB English/Lit score, the majority of which is 2nd year.

Of course practice for all of those is great and may take place across all 2 years.