Are CAS school trips mandatory?

My school is saying that the CAS trip they are taking us to is MANDATORY. They are taking us to a village to a theatre show or something. But I am kind of fat, don't like acting and shy. I do not want to this. Can I do something in place of it? Like I,I'll make a blog or something. I can't go for this trip. I surely can't. Also, is it true that CAS school trips can be mandatory? We are being asked to pay for it still mandatory!? Please reply. Thanks.

I would say it all depends on the school. You should talk with someone who is in charge of those trips and explain your situation. Schools choose how they manage their CAS and we can't really tell you if what your school is doing is not mandatory according to your school's policy. E.g. my school has a rule that if our attendance falls below 80% in the IB we might get into trouble. It's not an official IB rule, but we have to stick to it nonetheless.

• Like 1

To echo what other posters have said, I think it depends on your school. My school requires submission of CAS forms within 30 days of the completion of the activity. It's stupid, I hate it, but you have to do it.

That said, this sounds a bit different. CAS is supposed to be voluntary (not the program, but the activity you do...you know what I mean) so I'd talk to your coordinator.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally went for that theatre show and it was nice. A few children did not show up for the trip because of which the IB Co-ordinator in our school was really pissed off. She wanted all the students of our class to go. Now, she has planned another CAS trip for us in March, and guess what has she done? She has made the trip non-compulsory but given money for all the students, and that money will be included in the fee bill. She said that "At this stage, we cannot determine the number of students ready to go for the trip therefore we are charging money to all the students. Those who come will get their money's worth and also CAS". I think my school is greedy and really needs serious funding, it is already in a very poor condition. Well, all I can make out is that my school is SO NOT A PROPER IB SCHOOL.

Edited by helpfulbucket