RATIONALE - Written Assignment, Language HL B

Hi. I have a question about written assignment in english b hl.

quote from guide:

'Written assignment HL: Students are required to adhere to a word limit of 500–600 words, plus a 150-word

rationale'

i don't understand if it's minimum 150 words of rationale or maximum? Or maybe exactly 150 words?

My japanese teacher told my class we could go just over our 200 character limit if we needed to as long as it wasn't by too much, because it didn't specify that a mark would be deducted for going over, only for the main body.

Characters are treated a little differently in terms of word count (I think I remember in my EE guide saying 1.5 Japanese characters = 1 word?). But I wouldn't go over the word limit if I were you.

It's something like that for EE, yeah. Strangely enough, it seemed to work out at exactly double for the written assignment - I was allowed 800 charaters instead of 400, (did 777) and 200 for rationale instead of 100. Unless it is 150 for word-rationales! But yeah, it's too late now, all is done, I clarified with my teacher many times before trusting him and going from 199 characters to ~220. He said they didn't say they'd deduct marks if other the 200 character count..