Extended essay topics in math

memo52

Hy guys,

I am an IB1 student and as you all know, all IB students must write an extended essay, which has to include a minimum of 4000 words. I have decided to write my extended essay in math, howeever I am still looking for an interesting topic. My request to you, could you suggest or rather name me some interesting topics (or perhaps research questions), which could be suitable for an extended essay in math.

Besides, you could also suggest some topics about computer science or engineering which are related with math, because I am intersted in such areas.

Already thanks for your help

We are not here to do your work for you. No one is going to think of a topic for you, god forbid think up a research question. It's cheating, you get marks for your research question. Do your research first (if you're interested in what you say you're interested in, it shouldn't be that bad, right?), come up with some ideas, if you need help with assessing the sutiability of your question etc., feel free to ask. But no, we are not going to suggest a topic, area or anything like this. Do your work, everyone has to, so should you.

• Like 1

^ The cold hard truth. LOL

But yes, that is the main point behind the EE. It's kind of a preparation for what you might have to do when getting a masters, or doctoral degree at univeristy. You don't go around asking people what your research topic should be. You need to take something you're interested in, or passionate about, and write brilliant a research paper on it, because it's something you'll really be passionate about.

By asking us, all you're going to get: a bunch of random topics that you won't like very much, from which you'll pick the easiest one, get bored, write something really dull, and not get the best grade you could be achieving. Bask in the beauty of mathematics, you're bound to find something you're interested in. Ask yourself, "why do I love math?", and work from there.

That was a really cheesy answer, but unfortunately, the truth. :)

Also, for Mathematics EEs it is important to remember that the best essays are those who have a real-world application. For example, someone on the forum here wrote their EE in Maths on the number of legal permutations on the Rubik's Cube, which has a lot of potential in the real world (to a certain extent). Keep that in mind when you choose an EE topic for maths.

Good luck and as the others said, we are not here to give you a topic or to develop your research question. Come back when you have a topic and a research question and we are likely to comment on it.

Edited by dniviE

Again hello guys,

actually I think, that you partially misunderstood me, I didn't demand you for developing a resaerch question or the like for me. Nevertheless, I must give you quite, you have little bit right, my mistake was to do not mention topics and research question, which I have already developed myself. And again sorry, if I have done something false and disrespectful.In the last time I am a little stressed an do sometimes things, which aren't correct and my aim was not to make you to do my work.

So, the research questions or rather topics which I have developed are as follow:

-What is the best way to calculate the speed of the operatinsg system of a computer?

-How distances between countries could be shown as matematical functions?

-What is the best way to calculate pi?

-How much would be the reliability of calculating the equations of matematical functions by using the method of geometric sequences?

So, what do you think is the best topic, which of the topics would you prefer and why

Already thanks for your help

Greetings from Turkey (Ankara)

• Like 1

Going in order:

-What is the best way to calculate the speed of the operatinsg system of a computer?

Too broad, specify what system and use terminology, "speed" won't cut it I think. Also, I don't think this would fall into the domain of mathematics, rather computer science.

-How distances between countries could be shown as matematical functions?

Interesting, if I understand correctly you would try to define and model a way to measure the distance between countries (like calculating distance from the middle points vs the closest bordet etc). Perhaps narrow it down even more.

-What is the best way to calculate pi?

Also too broad, perhaps decide between a couple of methods, and then compare these.

-How much would be the reliability of calculating the equations of matematical functions by using the method of geometric sequences?

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say, elaborate.

Keep up, you have material to work from, now just think about it even more, narrow it down as much as you can, and remember that most EE:s in math- heavy subjects tend to fall on the short side, so don't be frightened if you feel that you can't fill out the word limit, that is not what the EE is about.

• Like 1