French Help

JMG2032

Ok, so I'm taking SL french and I need some serious help. French is fun for me, but I'm not really enjoying the class to be honest. I feel dumb and like I can't improve. My speaking is horrible, but with reading if I take my time, I can comprehend most of it, depending on what I'm reading. I need help mainly with listening, and speaking. And with the writing i'm getting better, or at least I think i'm getting better.

A lot of the times in the class I give up because I feel like everyone is so ahead of me, and I have no time to prove myself, and improve. We move through things so fast, and it's frustrating because I know I can do it... I just need a slower pace.

What are some things that I can do to help me. Like should I get a tutor, start watching french tv shows, and movies? I just need help, I'm tired of worrying about not passing the course.

This will be about how I acquired fluency in English - watch tv shows, movies (the more enjoyable, the better, it doesn't matter if something is stupid, trust me, you can learn a lot from Gossip Girl ;)), if you're watching a movie in English, try using subtitles in French. Listen to the radio (find one that suits you, not some boring station for old people), radios are usually available on line. And try to find a French pen pal. I can't even express how great help speaking with native speakers was for my English. :)

I hope you succeed in French as it is a really beautiful language (learning it myself :D) and if you find yourself struggling, talk to your teacher (if they're really useless, which happens with teachers far too often, sadly), maybe try finding a tutor.

Personally, I feel that the best way to improve in a language is to immerse yourself. Like you said, watch movies and TV shows in French, read magazines in French, heck, even listen to music with French lyrics. Speak to classmates and friends in French - try to carry out conversations. Maybe try to find someone French trying to learn English, and help them with their English while they help you in French. Have fun while you're learning!

Good luck with this! Languages can be really difficult at times, and I hope this doesn't lower your morale or anything of the sort.

Edit: Damn, Gaby beat me to it. Her post didn't show up for me until after I posted mine... This is why I should reply right away and not let threads sit open in Firefox for hours.

Edited by RahulArora

do you have access to softwares like rossetta stone at school? I heard, it is pretty helpful. I'm also taking French B standard and i find it quite hard eventhough i'm living in a french speaking part lol. What i think is, watching stuff which interests you in french with english subtitles can help you A LOT. This is the case for me with Japanese lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having similar problems.My teacher is pretty useless when it comes to teaching, so I do most of my stuff by myself. Online tutorials, reading more french passages, that sort of thing. If you're having problems with timing, try doing the lessons before-hand. (Example : If you know your teacher is starting chp6 in 3 days, read over it and know the basics so you don't lag behind in the actual class) Hope this helps!

Honestly, I'd say, the best thing is to talk to your teacher. If he/she is anything of a competent teacher, they will be able to help you out, with further reading/extra help/individual lessons.

If your teacher isn't very approachable/competent, all the above is great advice. Even though that little flag may say US, I'm originally from Germany, and only started speaking English every day about 4 years ago. Before that, however, I was able to greatly improve above my school level taught English (read: horrible, British, basic school english) by exploring all kinds of stuff in English, from movies, to TV, to video games.

So:

read more French, watch more French ... stuff.

^^ great advice right there :)

Edited by freezy19