Korean B HL self study

johnnykim

Hi,

I came to Australia(Sydney) from Korea in June this year and started the IB about 4months ago. I chose Korean B HL because its the easiest subject to get a 7(in my case). The language itself is easy for me and while I went to middle school and high school in Korea, I studied a lot of literature so I don't have problem with the that. However, I've read the language B syllabus but I'm still not sure what the syllabus wants me to study and how I have to do the internal assessments.

Could somebody explain to me what and how I have to study for the exams and what am I supposed to do for the IA. Also, can the literature I choose be a poem? Or, do I have to choose a play or novel?

Thanks.

Edited by johnnykim

I would recommend actually talking to your teacher about the IA, because it might be different for different languages. I have french as my language 2. For the 3 in class activities, I had to do a debate, explore the themes in a picture (5 minutes of prep time) and pick a topic to elaborate about. I chose one of my favourite french bands, and discussed the themes in their music.

As for the other part, I have an oral exam coming up in January. Essentially, I'll be given a picture, make a presentation on it, and then have a discussion with my teacher based on what I talked about.

Like I said, it might be different for different languages, so check with your teachers.

PS. It's so cool that you're Korean. I'm a huge fan of K-dramas.

• 1 month later...

Hi Johnny

I recommend you to take Korean "A" self study rather than "B". What are you taking for Language A? O.o

I am taking Korean A Self-taught and it is all about "literature" what you mentioned on the post. Language B is more like culture and the use of language. How long have you been studied in Korea? If you have studied in Korea for primary, middle and even high schools, and you are doing Korean B, it would be TOO easy for you. I can tell, Korean A is quite easy! It's all about novels, poems and so on while Korean B would be...em...reading Korean articles, K-pops or Drama.. :>.

Plus, you cannot do HL for self taught as far as I know. That's why I am doing English B HL (I wanted to do English A SL, but if I did, I only had 2 HLs, so.. :dontgetit:

If you need help/questions to ask me, just reply back and I will give you kakaotalk id or email address ^^

Edited by Jay Lee

Hi Johnny

I recommend you to take Korean "A" self study rather than "B". What are you taking for Language A? O.o

I am taking Korean A Self-taught and it is all about "literature" what you mentioned on the post. Language B is more like culture and the use of language. How long have you been studied in Korea? If you have studied in Korea for primary, middle and even high schools, and you are doing Korean B, it would be TOO easy for you. I can tell, Korean A is quite easy! It's all about novels, poems and so on while Korean B would be...em...reading Korean articles, K-pops or Drama.. :>.

Plus, you cannot do HL for self taught as far as I know. That's why I am doing English B HL (I wanted to do English A SL, but if I did, I only had 2 HLs, so.. :dontgetit:

If you need help/questions to ask me, just reply back and I will give you kakaotalk id or email address ^^

Hi, I went to a korean primary school and middle, high school in Korea so I wanted to do Korean A HL but my school doesn't allow that. So I am available to do Korean B HL self study. I'm taking the Korean B exam this May and othet exams in November this year and my korean IA's are due in a couple of weeks. The problem is that I'm not sure how many korean characters are one english word. For example 1word=1.5 chinese characters, but I'm not sure about Korean. Are you doing your Extended Essay on Korean?

my kakaotalk is jungyk95

but I dont have a phone so I use my ipod touch to use it so I might not be able to send replies straight away.

Thanks.