UCAS Prediction and University choice

BJD

I am currently predicted 36 in total and the university I want to attend is Durham. I want to study Psychology there and it requires 37 points, should I apply anyway? Will they still give me a chance do you believe ?? I don't want to waste an option

I think if you want to apply, you should. Especially if you're only 1 point off. But more importantly, there is a 'structure' that many people use when applying to university their university choices are divided up into "Reach", unis you can get into with your current grades, and "Safety". In this case, Durham would be a "reach" university, so it's okay as long as your university list is primarily made up of "safety" and uni choices you will probably get into.

Dubyawhy is correct. If you don't meet the minimum criteria, then the university won't consider you. Especially when it's a competitive and vaunted university such as Durham. You're better off making an application to a university where you do meet the minimum requirement and are an actual candidate for.

• Like 2

If you're applying to the UK you ideally want to be above the minimum criteria. Speak to your teachers and IB coordinator explaining your predicament and hopefully they'll give you the choice of doing extra tests or you can beg for the extra marks.

Also if your IAs aren't at level 7 standard you could improve them to the standard and show the teachers. Because IAs can actually pull your grade up a level, then if your IA grades increase you could politely ask your teachers to re-predict you highlighting the importance of it. Generally just do extra work and show them you are capable. I'd advise this specially if the grade boost you want is from a language course. Do extra essays, show you're improving etc. This is what a former student from my school did to get a higher predicted in english A1 HL. She had to write numerous essays to convince my teacher of her capability. Needless to say the essays had to be of a near perfect standard.

www.scribd.com is has some awesome sample essays and IAs. I suggest you use it to get an idea of the format of high level works.

Edited by ChocolateDrop

Remember though, IB predicted grades aren't usually very well regarded by universities, so they may let it slip. You could also beg your teachers to predict you that extra point so they're more likely to consider you. I'd say that with five choices, one which is a point above predicted may be worth the shot, for no reason other than that at least then you know.

Edited by Joe Boyle

If anything, if you haven't got the offer they're more likely to be more harsh than letting it slip. If you had an offer and missed your offer by one point is a different matter to not having an offer and not meeting the minimum grade requirement. In the instance of missing an offer you could call the University and beg in the instance of not having the grades do not apply.

Unless you have a mitigating/ extenuating circumstance that influenced your grades, then you probably could apply. You'd need to have letters of conformation and all sorts from officials, plus your application route might vary depending on the University. But the circumstance has to be very valid and supported

If anything, if you haven't got the offer they're more likely to be more harsh than letting it slip. If you had an offer and missed your offer by one point is a different matter to not having an offer and not meeting the minimum grade requirement. In the instance of missing an offer you could call the University and beg in the instance of not having the grades do not apply.

Unless you have a mitigating/ extenuating circumstance that influenced your grades, then you probably could apply. You'd need to have letters of conformation and all sorts from officials, plus your application route might vary depending on the University. But the circumstance has to be very valid and supported

Definitely true, but of five choices I'd personally take the risk and hope.

Definitely true, but of five choices I'd personally take the risk and hope.

There's always other institutions which offer the same course with lower minimum requirements. The object is to maximize your chances at University. Life is hard enough as an IB student, you don't want to make it impossible.

Unless you're applying to some abstract/ not so competitive course. I personally wouldn't take such a risk. 5 choices isn't that many, why waste them.

You have to check the University website and their 'policy'. Some might consider you if you're from a less advantaged background/ area or the first in your family to go to University. As well as if your school has a history of bad grades and your predicted grade is one of the highest in comparison.

Then there are those Universities which state you MUSt at least have the minimum grade requirements to be eligible to apply.

If you apply anyway and the university specifies that they have a no nonsense minimum grade requirement policy. Then the 'risk' and 'hope is not really worth it.

So here's how an application process goes.

There's a cutoff. Those below the cut-off are separated into one pile. Those meeting the cutoff are put into another pile. Those exceeding the cutoff are put into one last pile. Anything extra (no score reported, incomplete applications) are thrown into the trash and privately disposed. The admissions office will look at the ones exceeding the cutoff and pick out the ones they like. This will fill up most, if not all (depending on if they do a holistic review). The ones that meet the criteria are then reviewed. The few that get in...get in. The ones below the cut-off are reviewed last. They are analyzed even more, looking for strong points and reasons why the grades are below the cut-off. Once in a while, these people get in.

Then, the admissions office congratulate themselves on going through the paperwork monster, and reward themselves with refreshments.

So, think about your battle plan and put your money in that application fee. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I am currently predicted 36 in total and the university I want to attend is Durham. I want to study Psychology there and it requires 37 points, should I apply anyway? Will they still give me a chance do you believe ?? I don't want to waste an option

Did you end up applying to Durham?? If so, have you had an offer yet?

I dunno, I had a friend apply for Reading for B&M with 34, they ask for 35, and they just gave him an offer of 35. Obviously though, Reading is nowhere near as competitive as Durham, and Psychology is probably more competitive than B&M too, but I'm not the expert on that. What I'm saying is that it is possible, just because of the extra competition on BOTH course and university, the odds are harshly reduced. I wonder whether OP applied or not..