Maths Textbooks

Guest bennyb

My school also uses the Haese & Harris books for both HL and SL. (And studies)

I'd just like to say that I think that this is great book, as it gives a lot of application type questions and good examples to give us some insight on how to do the problem.

really good textbook

Thank you both. XD I'll try studying from that textbook this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Our school uses the H&H books, and I have the IBID ones at home. I think the H&H ones are better for learning new information, as well as questions, and the IBID ones are good for pumping questions, and the worked solutions are also quite good.

Does anyone have the Cambridge text? If so, is it good?

I didn't find the Cambridge textbook to be anything special. I went out and bought it as an alternative to the intimidating thing that is Haese & Harris, but at the end of the day, I actually ended up liking the way the H&H book was split up. I found it reasonably effective to revise from-- and boy did I do a lot of revision for maths!! It was quite plain and I found its explanations/examples (and layout) inferior to the H&H one, although that may just be personal preference.

IMO the big problems with the H&H mostly go back to the fact some questions are just not going to turn up on a paper ever (especially the harder ones) and the wording is rarely IB-esque. The size of it is also pretty intimidating xP They also use some weird methods (like the Unit Circle etc.) which a lot of maths teachers have better alternatives to. However the way it's split up and the less practical parts of its explanations are often really extremely good XD

IMO the big problems with the H&H mostly go back to the fact some questions are just not going to turn up on a paper ever (especially the harder ones) and the wording is rarely IB-esque. The size of it is also pretty intimidating xP They also use some weird methods (like the Unit Circle etc.) which a lot of maths teachers have better alternatives to. However the way it's split up and the less practical parts of its explanations are often really extremely good XD

I don't mind if the questions in it don't show up, as long as it contains what will show up. And what's wrong with the unit circle? The students in the national programmes aren't taught the unit circle until after they've learned all trigonometry, so they don't really know what they are doing when they are using sin, cos and tan.

Personally, I think the unit circle is really helpful and good. It's my best friend after my calculator :)

• 3 weeks later...