Are SAT tests required to apply to Canadian Universities or just my IB grades?

ChocolateDrop

Canadian Universities could care less if you do the SAT. They just care about your grades, in percentages. Some of the better ones look at IB grades...but most universities in Canada look at your school percentages.

Like GPA percentages? My school doesn't do GPA and whatnot. What percentages will they be looking at?

Canadian Universities could care less if you do the SAT. They just care about your grades, in percentages. Some of the better ones look at IB grades...but most universities in Canada look at your school percentages.

Like GPA percentages? My school doesn't do GPA and whatnot. What percentages will they be looking at?

You need to talk to your counselors to get some GPA percentages. It's part of our system.

• 1 month later...

for top schools in canada, its better to send them your sat scores if you did well because it would set you apart from the rest of applicants

Not true. For example, UBC could care less about your SAT scores because they rank their applicants based on school grades only. Recently, they've added some holistic touches to the application, but still no space to add SAT scores. We Canadians like to think of ourselves as different from the Americans. In Canada, do as the Canadians do.

• 3 weeks later...

for top schools in canada, its better to send them your sat scores if you did well because it would set you apart from the rest of applicants

Not true. For example, UBC could care less about your SAT scores because they rank their applicants based on school grades only. Recently, they've added some holistic touches to the application, but still no space to add SAT scores. We Canadians like to think of ourselves as different from the Americans. In Canada, do as the Canadians do.

whoa i was talking to my college counselor about this today. Anyway im a canadian citizen studying outside canada, and on my Mcgill application there was a space provided for SAT scores and i did mention them along with GPA and the IB predicted results. My college couselor said if you did well there is no harm in mentioning the scores especially since there is a space provided. so now im kind of confused hahahaha

whoa i was talking to my college counselor about this today. Anyway im a canadian citizen studying outside canada, and on my Mcgill application there was a space provided for SAT scores and i did mention them along with GPA and the IB predicted results. My college couselor said if you did well there is no harm in mentioning the scores especially since there is a space provided. so now im kind of confused hahahaha

Like I said, the SAT is not required for admission to any Canadian university. There's no harm in doing this (unless you want to declare your intentions of applying to American universities - hence the SAT scores).

You need to talk to your counselors to get some GPA percentages. It's part of our system.

In my experience I've never heard of a GPA percentages. There are GPAs, and then there are percentage averages. In Alberta, almost all schools use percentages, and Albertan universities look at that since the majority of students are coming from within Alberta. We have standardized testing in Alberta, but that shouldn't matter to you as these tests aren't required to get into universities, your IB Diploma will suffice.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience I've never heard of a GPA percentages. There are GPAs, and then there are percentage averages. In Alberta, almost all schools use percentages, and Albertan universities look at that since the majority of students are coming from within Alberta. We have standardized testing in Alberta, but that shouldn't matter to you as these tests aren't required to get into universities, your IB Diploma will suffice.

In BC, all schools ... well most use the top 4 grades (percentages if you're not in IB or whatever) and they make your percentage %. I believe most schools just look at your predicted grades so.... I really doubt SATs would matter