Struggling with Math HL

anirudhnarayan

I want to be an engineer and signed up for the Math HL course. I knew what I was getting into and I am determined to get that 7, but the pace at which the topics are being covered is my huge worry. I tend to understand the theory behind the topics but can never relate it to the questions from the past papers or in a test. I am currently on a 3 and 2 months into the course. I aim to raise my grades within the next month so that my predicteds dont suffer. Any tips?

Guest RomoChuck

Sounds like you are very similar to my situation in math HL. Up untill recently I was struggling with tests and such. It is one thing to understand the problems and how to do them but another to know why. What helped me is going in and talking 1 on 1 with my teacher and learning why I do the problems in addition to how. I recommend trying this and talking to your teacher and see what he/she recomends you do.

Good luck. You can do it.

Maths is an extension of basic mathematical concepts, so you should make sure to brush up on all your basics this will make the advanced topics easier. Just keep practicing questions first from the book, then you could move on to exam type questions. If you do not understand the answers, you could ask a maths teacher for help, it doesn't necessarily need to be your maths teacher but someone with a good advanced maths knowledge. If you have specific questions you need help with, there are countless youtube tutorial videos which go through questions and how to do them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ibpodcasting - Shows how to use GDC and demonstrations of how to approach maths questions.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#mathematics - Depending on the topic, may give solutions to questions and how to do them. Also has good maths notes.

I guess that the nature of the Maths HL course is that it moves quite quickly, but you seem to be okay with the theory. I guess the main thing to do is practice - start with the textbook, move onto past papers - and make sure you get your teacher/a teacher to try and help you with any problems you have. If you really want to do Maths HL (which you seem to do), then I guess you have to accept that a lot of your time will be spent studying and practising maths - way more than your other subjects. Hopefully the hard work will pay off :) Good luck!

• 1 month later...