Not sure what to do for 'action', does this count?

Emma SYW

My IB coordinator said that individual exercise doesn't count, although I've seen people saying the opposite on some forums here. I run for 30-60 minutes every day, do you think this counts? If not, I suppose I could join cross country but my school is really far from where I live so it's incredibly inconvenient for me to do extra-curriculars at school. Once every few months I play badminton with my friends but that's not nearly enough. So my questions are:

1) Does joggin everyday for 30+ minutes count?

2) If not, what can I do? Please name a few examples...

3) How exactly do we document our hours? Are there forms to fill out or is it all on our honour, meaning we don't have to actually prove anything? o_o

Jogging definitely counts as action in my school. I guess schools have very different opinions/rules about CAS! I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and get 2 hours worth of action each time I go. It's incredibly convenient, motivating and liberating. I am really shocked to hear that your school doesn't accept your running - Do you think it's a trust issue?

I can prove that I go to the gym because I have to check in each time and I have a membership. You also have to write entries in your CAS journal documenting your jogging process.

Edited by Babydolleyes
  • Like 1

I think the main problem might be that you don't have a supervisor when you are doing something so individual like running by yourself. My school was the same about these kind of things. Also they kinda had a rule that if you couldn't reflect on it, you probably shouldn't be counting it as CAS and regular running you have been doing for a long time i assume doesnt really lead to anything insightful. My suggestion is to just find some kind of action activity close by that is organised by someone else. just give a couple of things a go, then stick with it to see if there is anything acceptable you like.

About documenting you activities, I'm really surprised you CAS coordinator hasn't given you the info on what your school does. Some schools document their hours online, while other still use paper but whatever it is the IB expects everyone to have their hours documented with confirmation with the coordinators of every activity that those hours are legit. I would go to to coordinator and just ask questions to him/her so that you can get a definite answer and get everything sorted s you dont end up doing hours that they wont end up letting you count.

I think the main problem might be that you don't have a supervisor when you are doing something so individual like running by yourself. My school was the same about these kind of things. Also they kinda had a rule that if you couldn't reflect on it, you probably shouldn't be counting it as CAS and regular running you have been doing for a long time i assume doesnt really lead to anything insightful. My suggestion is to just find some kind of action activity close by that is organised by someone else. just give a couple of things a go, then stick with it to see if there is anything acceptable you like.

About documenting you activities, I'm really surprised you CAS coordinator hasn't given you the info on what your school does. Some schools document their hours online, while other still use paper but whatever it is the IB expects everyone to have their hours documented with confirmation with the coordinators of every activity that those hours are legit. I would go to to coordinator and just ask questions to him/her so that you can get a definite answer and get everything sorted s you dont end up doing hours that they wont end up letting you count.

I know, our coordinator is really unorganized... I tried emailing her asking these questions but she got so annoyed she just started ignoring me. I guess I'll join cross country since I have no other choice. Maybe swim and dive too. So we're supposed to be documenting them ourselves? And should I ask my parents to prove that I've been jogging? :S

Whether it is counted as an Action activity depends on your IB coordinator (so in this case, no.) Your IB coordinator is the one who approves your CAS, so you have to follow their guidelines.

Each school does CAS a little differently, so what each school accepts varies. This also affects how you document your hours. At my school, I need a 'supervisor' for each activity and have them sign off once I have finished it as proof, BUT family members can't be supervisors. Double check with your coordinator to see if you can use family members as proof for your activity - some schools do allow you to do that.

Photos in your reflection is also good proof too.

You could do co-curriculars outside of school if it's more convenient. As long as you have proof in the manner your school allows it, it should be okay. (So if you wanted to continue running, you could join a running club closer to your house.)

I heard that doing self practice doesn't count unless that practice of yours will be 'fruitful'.

I once asked my school principal as such:

"Sir if I'm going to swim for 20 minutes in a week will it count as my CAS?"

He answered "No, unless you have an aim and reflection after your swimming practice, such that you join a particular swimming competition, by then it will count."

So I guess it happens the same way with your case.

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

hey

for action, these coming holidays, im going to help a bunch of old people at a nursing home (<-- "bunch of old people" <-- I dont like old people)

but i just realised, wouldnt that be service ??

what can we do for action?

I think yeah helping old people is a service project (not an action)

For your action project you can go every day or day after day to the gym for one hour :)

Good luck

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...