EE English A1 Category 3: Pepper-spray cop meme analysis

dniviE

Hello everyone,

My Extended Essay is a English A1 Category 3: Studies in language essay which is quite unusual. I am going to analyse the meanings and implications of the memes that arose from the November 2011 UC Davis pepper-spraying of student protestors. So far I have found the primary sources I am going to use which are the memes and the secondary sources that are newspaper articles and some research papers on internet memes. The main point that I am trying to prove is that the memes that erupted from the pepper-spray incident are more than just funny pictures and more a harsh criticism of how police officers over the whole US has been acting during the Occupy protests.

Currently, I am pretty stuck on the analysing of the pictures as I don't know how to go about it. Is there anyone here that has some tips on how to analyse pictures?

PS: here's a link to the story behind the memes and some examples of them http://www.wired.com...20&viewall=true

The ones I will be focusing on are the Declaration of Independence and Picasso's Guernica.

Not enough. I have already given up this topic and have went over to a media bias EE instead. I am going to write something on how the early announcement of George W. Bush in 2004 by FOX News influenced the other major news channels in the US.

How do you know the IBO look down on cultural analysis?

Not enough. I have already given up this topic and have went over to a media bias EE instead. I am going to write something on how the early announcement of George W. Bush in 2004 by FOX News influenced the other major news channels in the US.

How do you know the IBO look down on cultural analysis?

What category is this in? If it's history, it has to be at least 10 years old or else it's considered a current event.

This is not a politics essay. I have already checked the assessment criteria for English A1 Category 3: Language studies and it could fit. It could maybe be a Politics essay but I don't know anything about the assessment criteria and therefore it isn't something I am willing to do. Neither does my school have a Politics teacher.

And yeah, it could be in history to as the event was actually in 2001 and not in 2004 as I originally wrote. However, I have changed my topic completely (for the last time now) and I am now analysing the rhetoric used by Fox News in their TV broadcasts versus their online newspaper articles.